Compass Fail

Reaction score
Received my P4 today, after a couple of hours of clunky updates, most of which failed at least once, and holding my tongue the right way whilst restarting phone, controller and bird I finally had the thing up to date. The whole time I had a compass error, asking me not too calibrate but restart the thing. After some time I found the compass calibration in the sensor menu, under the advanced tab in the drone part of the (main) menu......... I'm a marine electronics tech so used to searching for important things three or four menu levels deep. Swung both compasses, another thing that is like riding a bike for a marine tech. Is annoying that there is no confirmation that calibration is successful, obviously was not successful for compass 2 as still get constant error asking to restart. Found a post on the DJI support forum with someone having same issue and the DJI tech suggested "tapping" the bird as maybe the compass was stuck.... Wtf. The thing is worth, well cost.. 2k AU. I'm not overly happy. Lemon

Reactions: Red88rick
Make sure you don't calibrate the compass indoors or near electrical lines, metal, or metal that is in the ground that you can't see.

You'll get an error every time.

You did a complete 360 degree rotation with it horizontal then a complete 360 degree rotation with it pointed nose down? What color did the LED's flash when you completed the procedure?

Yah, as I said I swung both compasses, first one gave green, second flashed yellow.

Yeah I have tried everything. Compass 1 calibrates fine, Compass 2 says the restart aircraft :(

Pic

Attachments

• 1460075900105.jpg
    1460075900105.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 363
Received my P4 today, after a couple of hours of clunky updates, most of which failed at least once, and holding my tongue the right way whilst restarting phone, controller and bird I finally had the thing up to date. The whole time I had a compass error, asking me not too calibrate but restart the thing. After some time I found the compass calibration in the sensor menu, under the advanced tab in the drone part of the (main) menu......... I'm a marine electronics tech so used to searching for important things three or four menu levels deep. Swung both compasses, another thing that is like riding a bike for a marine tech. Is annoying that there is no confirmation that calibration is successful, obviously was not successful for compass 2 as still get constant error asking to restart. Found a post on the DJI support forum with someone having same issue and the DJI tech suggested "tapping" the bird as maybe the compass was stuck.... Wtf. The thing is worth, well cost.. 2k AU. I'm not overly happy. Lemon
There is no compass in the bird to tap.

It's electromegnemeters. Those are what make up the compass and IMU sensor info and tapping is a goofy offering.

My compass 2 days disconnected. Brand new to. Keeps telling me compass calibration error. And restart aircraft. Going to exchange mine ASAP. Tired multiple times to calibrate. In different locations. Compass 1 is reading ok.

My compass 2 days disconnected. Brand new to. Keeps telling me compass calibration error. And restart aircraft. Going to exchange mine ASAP. Tired multiple times to calibrate. In different locations. Compass 1 is reading ok.
Same same

well crap

Btw I got my new one. Compass 2 should read just as compass one does. Was not sure if compass 2 disconnected was normal seeing compass 1 was ok. Also the packaging seems to be updated on the new one. Regardless finally I'm in the air again without any issues. Still hesitant to go all out untill I know all the systems are ok.

Ahh nice Red. I'm Australia so will have to wait for DJI to arrange courier and send out a new one. I will let you all know how long process takes. Awaiting reply to my exchange email atm

Reactions: Red88rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic