Compass errors after adding Strobon Standalone lights?

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered a couple Strobon Standalone lights for my P3P. When I went out the last couple sunsets to try some visibility tests, I was plagued by compass errors.

The first evening, I had the lights at the front and rear contour of the Phantom. Bad compass errors, didn't even take off. I relocated them. The next evening, I had all green, Ready to fly. Took off and rose to about 100 ft. ATTI mode alarms. It was a little windy, started drifting all over the place.

I rose in altitude a bit more to avoid the trees and fought to get it lined up so I could start bringing it down. Thankfully, I was able to maintain control and land.

I did take off from the concrete pad in our back yard that does have metal in it.

Will try to test again, carefully while taking off in a better location.

Any advice on the best location for these lights (if they are causing the errors)?

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have you attempted to recalibrate the drone after attaching the strobes? Curious, how bright they actually are?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just did another test flight. No errors, recalibrated compass.

They seem like they will be pretty bright in the evening, not so much in the day. I want to use them to satisfy lights for a night waiver under 107, to film fireworks from a distance on July 4th.

Flytron also has Strobon Standalone Cree models available. The board is tiny!

I have a couple of as well and never had the problem. I think they're too small to be much of a magnetic issue and not much of their construction is metal anyway.

But good on you for getting it sorted out.

i added 2 red,2 green and 3 clear to mine but had to mount them all up high on the legs to keep errors from showing up on my p3pro. they do put out a 10mhz signal that is strong enough to interfere with the compuse sometimes. just depends where you run power cables if yours has not internal bnattries and mounting away from bottom of legs. i switched to different ones that are faa approved from flytron. they did not interfere with anything.

I have the a bunch of these and have used them for years.
I recently got the cree version with the rechargeable lipo. Geezus they are bright. I have flown over a mile away on a clear night and they are still visible.
Although, all the other versions are bright too.

Hi,

I ordered a couple Strobon Standalone lights for my P3P. When I went out the last couple sunsets to try some visibility tests, I was plagued by compass errors.

The first evening, I had the lights at the front and rear contour of the Phantom. Bad compass errors, didn't even take off. I relocated them. The next evening, I had all green, Ready to fly. Took off and rose to about 100 ft. ATTI mode alarms. It was a little windy, started drifting all over the place.

I rose in altitude a bit more to avoid the trees and fought to get it lined up so I could start bringing it down. Thankfully, I was able to maintain control and land.

I did take off from the concrete pad in our back yard that does have metal in it.

Will try to test again, carefully while taking off in a better location.

Any advice on the best location for these lights (if they are causing the errors)?

Rob

I have the red (rear) and white (front) Strobon Standalone fitted too. I've fitted these to the VPS sensor case, just below the battery slot and just above the microUSB port on the front. I've used self adhesive Velcro to attach them. Haven't had a single issue and found them to be good for 1000' visibility at night.
Cheers... Rob(ert Smith Snr.. Yep... Seriously!)

my gps doped from 12 sats to 8 when i had mine on top. the gps is mounted right in the middle inside of the top.
Yes it is. It was probably coincidental. Unless you had a huge battery powering it that covered the entirety of the top of the quad.
You have to remember, there are GPS units in phones, tablets etc which are surrounded by electronics.

Mine are mounted on the gimbal protector so they can be clipped on and off easily for charging.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers