compass error

Reaction score
been out this afternoon, did a compass calibration,took off did a flight and brought it down. then walked over to my car with every thing still switched on, put the phantom in my boot looked at the ipad screen and it says I had a compass error. I did another compass calibration near my car and it kept saying compass failed. is this because I was too close to my car ? (I was about 6 foot from the back of the car) how far do you need to be away from the car if this is the problem ?

Yes.. I think so. I usually get 50' from all metal. Might be over kill, maybe not. On the other hand I think there are some issues going around. Multiple threads with compass, gps ect issues.

been out this afternoon, did a compass calibration,took off did a flight and brought it down. then walked over to my car with every thing still switched on, put the phantom in my boot looked at the ipad screen and it says I had a compass error. I did another compass calibration near my car and it kept saying compass failed. is this because I was too close to my car ? (I was about 6 foot from the back of the car) how far do you need to be away from the car if this is the problem ?
This is very worng. First off this is to be expected buddy. Do not keep the bird on in the car do not calibrate it near it or other metal structures. All this is in the manual. Go recalibrate in an open area before u fly is my advice

Reactions: lotusteve
thanks all... lesson well learnt.. wont be doing that again. when I got back home I went in my back garden to do another compass calibration. garden is well away from any metal, my lotus elise is plastic so that's not going to affect anything lol.. I had no problems doing the new calibration.

Reactions: brianb87
That's great to know it has all worked out for you.
Lessons are always enjoyable when we appreciate the subject matter. ;-)

Go have big fun, flying your Phantom. . .

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic