Compass error p3a

Reaction score
So I got my p3a today and performed the firmware updates for the bird and all ok but I keep getting compass error magnetic interference. Have moved it several times, done an Imu and recalibrated the compass but to no avail. Anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you outside away from metals?

Yep, I'm in my front garden. There's no metal. My standard didn't have any problems getting compass here.

Try some different locations. Calibration can be messed up by underground metal in pipes or conduits. If you want to be very cautious, remove any metal that you are wearing, and hold the bird at arms length when you do the procedure.

I started getting the same thing the other day launching from my driveway. Happened at about 150-200' out of the blue. I launch from the same place all the time with no issues. Once I got the magnetic interference notice the flight mode changed to P-OPTI. Flew her back, landed, calibrated compass & power cycled. Same thing happened again a minute or two later after I was 150' in the air. Bagged it for the day & haven't flown her since. Very strange.

So I got my p3a today and performed the firmware updates for the bird and all ok but I keep getting compass error magnetic interference. Have moved it several times, done an Imu and recalibrated the compass but to no avail. Anyone help?

Well, I tried everything. Even polarising the compass and that didn't work either, so it's going back and im hoping that they'll send me a replacement, if so, I'm making sure I ask them to test the new one before it gets sent to me because if I get another one like that, my beta blockers will be seriously tested! [emoji36][emoji36][emoji36]

What version Firmware? What version GoApp?
What are the MOD values ?
Go into the app and check these at different locations.

Have you mounted anything like a GPS locator or any thing at all on the Phantom?
I have had this error come up now and then. Same location..one day I would get the error every time and another day it was fine at the exact same spot.

How far away did you go? Try 1/4 = 1/2 mile away.

The compass is picking up a magnetic field from the Earth.
Metal such as rebar in concrete, a metal fence, cars , building etc can cause errors.

This is from the 3Dr Solo web site...
2 Move away from radio frequency emitters
Make sure you are not near power lines or radio frequency emitters like cell and radio towers. These emissions can interfere with the electronic device performance and/or alterations on magnetic field readings.

Last edited:
Latest firmware, new today. No gps locators either. It just goes straight into atti mode and flashes red/yellow with the red compass error message. I'm gonna give it a few more tries tomorrow over on the fields across from me and see what happens, you never know....but I doubt it.

What version Firmware? What version GoApp?
What are the MOD values ?
Go into the app and check these at different locations.

Have you mounted anything like a GPS locator or any thing at all on the Phantom?
I have had this error come up now and then. Same location..one day I would get the error every time and another day it was fine at the exact same spot.

How far away did you go? Try 1/4 = 1/2 mile away.

The compass is picking up a magnetic field from the Earth.
Metal such as rebar in concrete, a metal fence, cars , building etc can cause errors.

This is from the 3Dr Solo web site...
2 Move away from radio frequency emitters
Make sure you are not near power lines or radio frequency emitters like cell and radio towers. These emissions can interfere with the electronic device performance and/or alterations on magnetic field readings.
Yep I kind of understand that but my Standard was perfectly fine flying from here so why should this be any different?

Yep I kind of understand that but my Standard was perfectly fine flying from here so why should this be any different?

For the same reason some people have to send their Phantoms back while others don't. They are similar but every component and every build can have very, very minute variations in quality, build care, handling etc.

Also the electronics in the standard and Advanced are different.

When you tried "different locations" were you still within 100 feet of the same place?
Have you had any successful flights since the update?
What about BEFORE the update?

Have a look at the Compass data in the Sensors section in the GO app.
What numbers does it show?
If there are numbers, that's good.
If it just shows zero, you'll never get the compass to calibrate because it's broken of disconnected.
Your compass error is almost certainly because the compass is detecting a magnetic influence greater than what it would normally see due to the earth's magnetic field.
Take it for a drive well away from your home to a park or some other wide open area where there will be no buried pipes, cables or reinforced concrete and calibrate the compass there.
ANywhere close to your house is not a good location for compass calibration.

Reactions: Oso
When you tried "different locations" were you still within 100 feet of the same place?
Have you had any successful flights since the update?
What about BEFORE the update?
It's brand new, just got it today so I haven't even armed the motors yet, it won't even let me do that!

Have a look at the Compass data in the Sensors section in the GO app.
What numbers does it show?
If there are numbers, that's good.
If it just shows zero, you'll never get the compass to calibrate because it's broken of disconnected.
Your compass error is almost certainly because the compass is detecting a magnetic influence greater than what it would normally see due to the earth's magnetic field.
Take it for a drive well away from your home to a park or some other wide open area where there will be no buried pipes, cables or reinforced concrete and calibrate the compass there.
ANywhere close to your house is not a good location for compass calibration.
Checked the numbers on the compass data earlier, come to think of it, they all read zero.
To be honest, I you couldn't get much more of a wide open area than opposite my house as we overlook acres and acres of farmland.

Checked the numbers on the compass data earlier, come to think of it, they all read zero.
If the compass numbers are zero, your compass sensor (cheap) might be non-functioning or disconnected.
You can check the cables going to the compass to see if one is broken, use a jewelers screwdriver to remove the plastic cover from the compass sensor and check connections there.
Or (and it's a real drag) take the top cover off to see if the cable connection is properly seated there.

Thanks for your advice, I'll have a look in the morning and see what I can find....

Update: today, I tried again outside, away from my house in a nice open space and I get the same message with nothing but zeros on the compass data, I also tried a cold Imu calibration. I have now boxed her up and she's ready to be sent back. Pissed off now as we have nice weather and that's bloody rare!

Send it back to DJI. It's their problem. From what you are saying I would call that DOA. Get another one.

[QUOTE="

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I just mounted my Trackimo on my P3P and was having compass errors, after the flight I noticed I had installed the mount on the compass side of the bird, so removed and reinstalled it on the other side. Been too windy to fly again, but at 15 bucks, I just ordered a new compass just in case as well... (I also used a magnetic screw driver to install the mount initially, and have read that might have messed up the compass, another reason I ordered the new one.)

JKDSensei said:

Interesting, I just mounted my Trackimo on my P3P and was having compass errors, after the flight I noticed I had installed the mount on the compass side of the bird, so removed and reinstalled it on the other side. Been too windy to fly again, but at 15 bucks, I just ordered a new compass just in case as well... (I also used a magnetic screw driver to install the mount initially, and have read that might have messed up the compass, another reason I ordered the new one.)

Trakimo contains electronics and can affect the compass. I had a similar issue when I first mounted my GPS tracker too close to the compass.

Also best to re-calibrate after adding any electronics

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj