Compass Error normal 2 times in one day?

Reaction score
Hey guys, is it normal to get a compass error 2 times in one day? My day started off with a IMU error, then after I did the IMU the bird was all over the place... Went back and put it in the freezer to cool everything off did the IMU again and it flew stable this time. 2 flights later I started getting compass errors 2 times..? Maybe need to do another IMU calibration ? Im running 1.1.9 FW! I thought that was the good FW.. My other P3P I had I updated the controller & Bird to 1.2.9 and never had an issue.. Maybe time to go up one... in FW ?

Hey guys, is it normal to get a compass error 2 times in one day? My day started off with a IMU error, then after I did the IMU the bird was all over the place... Went back and put it in the freezer to cool everything off did the IMU again and it flew stable this time. 2 flights later I started getting compass errors 2 times..? Maybe need to do another IMU calibration ? Im running 1.1.9 FW! I thought that was the good FW.. My other P3P I had I updated the controller & Bird to 1.2.9 and never had an issue.. Maybe time to go up one... in FW ?
The firmware upgrades are personal choice-- a lot of good reports for 1.3.2. I did mine last week from 1.1.9 to 1.3.2 and it is rock solid.
The compass errors are coming from the Phantom being near metal or magnetic inference when you power it up. Concrete, small yards with chain link fences, plain old dirt or rocks that have ferrous content. If you get a compass error, just move to another location. If I get one, I will find a different location to take off from and usually do another compass calibration at that point, although some on the forum will say that it is not necessary to recalibrate if you move to a different location and don't the a repeat of the error. That again is a personal choice on whether you want to recalibrate the compass after an error and after finding a different spot to take off from

If you get one while flying, it is probably magnetic interference and you probably should get it on the ground as soon as possible-- even if the error goes away.

The firmware upgrades are personal choice-- a lot of good reports for 1.3.2. I did mine last week from 1.1.9 to 1.3.2 and it is rock solid.
The compass errors are coming from the Phantom being near metal or magnetic inference when you power it up. Concrete, small yards with chain link fences, plain old dirt or rocks that have ferrous content. If you get a compass error, just move to another location. If I get one, I will find a different location to take off from and usually do another compass calibration at that point, although some on the forum will say that it is not necessary to recalibrate if you move to a different location and don't the a repeat of the error. That again is a personal choice on whether you want to recalibrate the compass after an error and after finding a different spot to take off from

If you get one while flying, it is probably magnetic interference and you probably should get it on the ground as soon as possible-- even if the error goes away.

Thanks! All makes sense! I was near my Jeep last night when I took off pretty close to it.. That must of been it.. Thank you! As far as the FW upgrade.. I hear so many mixed feeling about upgrading.. I had a P3P before this new one and when it arrived it was on 1.1.9 then I updated the bird & controller with 1.2.6 and NEVER had an issue with that FW.. People are saying that was the bad one lol my 1.2.6 was rock solid! I had to return it in my 30 return window cause of a gimbal issue.. Now the new one came and it is on 1.1.9 everyone said that was the best FW so far! I keep getting errors on this FW ( IMU, Compass, etc ) Never got one error on 1.2.6 ... Maybe Ill jump to that this weekend.. See what happens.. I heard there is a flight distance limit on 1.3.2 then some say there isnt.. Do you have this issue w/ 1.3.2 ? Thanks for yoru reply Bob!

Thanks! All makes sense! I was near my Jeep last night when I took off pretty close to it.. That must of been it.. Thank you! As far as the FW upgrade.. I hear so many mixed feeling about upgrading.. I had a P3P before this new one and when it arrived it was on 1.1.9 then I updated the bird & controller with 1.2.6 and NEVER had an issue with that FW.. People are saying that was the bad one lol my 1.2.6 was rock solid! I had to return it in my 30 return window cause of a gimbal issue.. Now the new one came and it is on 1.1.9 everyone said that was the best FW so far! I keep getting errors on this FW ( IMU, Compass, etc ) Never got one error on 1.2.6 ... Maybe Ill jump to that this weekend.. See what happens.. I heard there is a flight distance limit on 1.3.2 then some say there isnt.. Do you have this issue w/ 1.3.2 ? Thanks for yoru reply Bob!
No distance issues -- over a mile in the standard configuration, Getting ready to install the DBS antenna mod which will kick it out further-- which I don't need, but hopefully will give more penetration thru trees and close to the ground.

No distance issues -- over a mile in the standard configuration, Getting ready to install the DBS antenna mod which will kick it out further-- which I don't need, but hopefully will give more penetration thru trees and close to the ground.
Thanks for the report back.. Appreciate it! What is the DBS Antenna Mod?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik