Compass error .....intermittent

Reaction score
Hi , I have a new Phantom 3 std ( 2nd one) and it has weak signal and it keeps having compass error. It will fly fine for a while , then compass error again. I also notice when it is hovering it doesn't stay put like my other one did?? I have calibrated it every time I fly and keep it pretty close to home for now. I am upgrading the RC on Wednesday and I would like to make sure the compass error is not an issue...Any thoughts?

maybe do a complete IMU calibration since your hover is off.
check the compass numbers when you do the imu calibration ..are they in normal range?

once you do the IMU then quad take to clear from metal area and calibrate the compass.

then test for level hover at least.

PS once you have a good compass calibration leave it alone. don't keep redoing it unless you travel real far

good luck and have fun flying!

Thank you very much... I will update you when I get RC mod completed. I think its going to be much better.. Have fun flying!!!!

i have pt3adv down on air and crack the jack compass to mainboard, i try to
sticky the jack and i have compass error like this, i try to change another place but still error again

[file]aaa|none[/file]
[file]com|none[/file]

then i change the compass pt3adv by a compass of phantom 3 standard, but it still error again too, hix

Last edited:
Make sure you don't have any metallic jewelry like a watch or bracelet on when doing the calibration...

DONT CALIBRATE EVERY TIME!!!! Use logic. The compass snapshot could be bad due to magnetic influence. Bad compass dance = TBE toilet bowl effect, the swirling affect.

Find an open grassy field NEAR your flight location. Take off any metal items, take off your pants, do the compass dance.
Then go back to your flight location.

Think of this... You are standing next a magnet (buildings/cars/rebar etc). You do the dance on the ground and the phantom captures a FALSE North. You then take off and get 100ft in the air. It now sees a new TRUE North as it's no longer affected by the magnet on the ground. The P3 will give you warnings and switch to ATTI to prevent flyaways.

Doing the dance in an open grassy field is like doing the dance 100ft up - NO MAGNETIC INFLUENCE therefor a true north with declinations factored in.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj