Compass error in mid air

Reaction score
Today, I have two times "Compass error" caution. I have flown in the same location before, without issues. Today the caution came on both time, I was flying in the same spot and turning 360 degrees. I switch to ATTI and bring it down. I perform again compass calibration procedure and after take off, caution came on on the same spot and again, I was turning 360. height was about 40 meters.
I checked the compass mod value during the caution, it was 1490-1550. Why it kick in compass error on the same spot on the air?
Could it be my car cause interference, during compass calibration?

On the video compass error came on 5:17

This was my first compass issue. Would it be good to perform IMU calibration, or is it pure compass issue?
According to the manual, Phantom can return automatically home point in A-mode(if the home point was stored), have you test it?

It happened to me to while i was flying over the ocean. Turned it to Atti mode and the drifting went gone. Landed back home. I still got the video i wanted and showed it to a potential costumer. (resort owner). he was so amazed about the video and is thinking of paying me good money for advertisement for his resort.

Little did he know, the video behind the scene is that I'm having cold sweat and a mini heart attack.

Probably my "BEST" mini fly way of my phantom.

Last edited:
Same here. Had my first compass error yesterday and the bird started lurching to one side and drifting. Compass was 1499 so can't understand. I was flying over open countryside at the time and had 20 gps satellites if that makes any difference. Scared the life out of me as was only my 6 th flight

It was really intense huh. One of the hard part to is pretending nothing bad is happening. My costumer is just right beside me. I hope he didnt saw the red message blinking "COMPASS ERROR"

Yes, happened to me twice. If ur near a car with ur controller u get compass error.

was no where near my car and was flying at 400 feet about half a mile away. Last place Iw ould have expected to have compass issues.

It happened to me also today and it happened 4-5 times . Then my friend flew his his and had no issues . What's the next step I lost faith in my electronics , used to fly over a mile away now I'm scared

Today, I have two times "Compass error" caution. I have flown in the same location before, without issues. Today the caution came on both time, I was flying in the same spot and turning 360 degrees. I switch to ATTI and bring it down. I perform again compass calibration procedure and after take off, caution came on on the same spot and again, I was turning 360. height was about 40 meters.
I checked the compass mod value during the caution, it was 1490-1550. Why it kick in compass error on the same spot on the air?
Could it be my car cause interference, during compass calibration?

On the video compass error came on 5:17

This was my first compass issue. Would it be good to perform IMU calibration, or is it pure compass issue?
According to the manual, Phantom can return automatically home point in A-mode(if the home point was stored), have you test it?
Do you have Flytrex installed had problem with my Inspire 1 had to remove for some reason interference with compass.Ordered Flytrex for my P3 but will not install at this time.

I'm so glad to see you guys post that when this problem happened you selected A mode to bring it home safe! :cool:

Reactions: snowghost
I'm so glad to see you guys post that when this problem happened you selected A mode to bring it home safe! :cool:

Good idea to mess with Atti every now and then anyway. Especially on those long flights to see how the wind is up high.

Lost my compass twice now while high in the air and both times were able to bring her back down using atti mode. If it weren't for this forum, I probably wouldn't have known to do that.

I too had a compass error, I did an IMU calibration the next day when the phantom was cold and haven't had one since.

Only time I ever had a compass error was at the end of a flight when nearly home. I forgot to put my phone in airplane mode and a text message popped up. By the time I looked at the screen it was showing compass error in red at the top. I didn't notice the bird move or do anything unpredictable though as I brought it home the last few meters. App glitch with messages arriving on the phone?

It happened to me also today and it happened 4-5 times . Then my friend flew his his and had no issues . What's the next step I lost faith in my electronics , used to fly over a mile away now I'm scared
I got compass error while flying today, lost fpv signal on and off, pressed the rth button. It came back home but with mega drift around. I was scared to death. I finally came back but now i lost confidence in it. Its not so reliable and signal lost is frequent with a good phone though Galaxy Note 4... I'll fly around at eye sight for a while...

I got compass error while flying today, lost fpv signal on and off, pressed the rth button. It came back home but with mega drift around. I was scared to death. I finally came back but now i lost confidence in it. Its not so reliable and signal lost is frequent with a good phone though Galaxy Note 4... I'll fly around at eye sight for a while...
Where did you take off from-- any metal or power close by either flying or taking off?

I flew from my back yard for a couple of weeks with no issues, but now I can go out there and get compass errors if I take off from certain locations. Underground metal or power lines, concrete with reinforcing, steel pipe or anything ferrous can cause compass errors, If you cant see it doesn't mean it is not there.

Ok youre right. I was on reinforced concrete. I didnt think of the rods under. I'll try recalibration tomorrow somewhere else and try to gain confidence again... merci thank you

Reactions: bobmyers
I flew from my back yard for a couple of weeks with no issues, but now I can go out there and get compass errors if I take off from certain locations. Underground metal or power lines, concrete with reinforcing, steel pipe or anything ferrous can cause compass errors, If you cant see it doesn't mean it is not there.

Yeah i took mine to a suspension bridge and checked IMU before take off. Instead of the normal 1499 I was reading 1150 lol

Your loss of confidence is a good thing.
It will make you a safer operator.

These toys are subject to malfunction without redundancy.
We read about it here every day so it is only a matter of time.

The only legacy r/c aircraft I still have hanging from the ceiling is because I retired them before 'it' happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers and JamesD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie