Compass error - IMU calibration not clearing it

Reaction score
Getting "Compass error, please move the aircraft or calibrate the compass". When I initially saw this error last week, I did an IMU and Gimbal auto calibration, and it cleared it (did it with P3P cold). I'm now fully updated on latest firmware, app, etc. I have done the IMU calibration twice, and done compass calibration several times, and the error is not clearing (and yes, I have tried moving it to another location). Whats going on here? Do I have a defective P3?

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 1,887
Last edited:
What is the local magnetic environment where you are getting this message?
The most common cause is trying to launch from a manhole cover, your car roof or concrete with steel reinforcing and simply moving away from the iron or steel is the fix.
Calibrating your IMU won't help. The compass is not related.

Launching from none of the above...it's out in my side yard, launching from a plastic cover. I'm not sure if Wifi can be a culprit, as my office isn't too far off...but I tried on other side of house, and got the same

It's telling you that your compass is detecting a magnetic field significantly different from what it would expect.
Have you gone away from your house to an open field well away from anything likely to have a magnetic field associated with it. Wifi shouldn't have any effect on your compass unless you are 6 inches from your router.

It doesn't add up...I just don't understand what would be different. I always take off from this same spot, and never had this issue after 30+ flights. I'll give it a shot tomorrow though and take it to a field. Thanks

I have to agree. This new compass , if it's as "sensitive" as claimed is a real annoyance. Seems you can't be anywhere within 15 ft of any metal. Which in my opinion is totally ridiculous!

Seriously, my p1 p2 & fc 40 flew in similar situations (places) without a problem. Now, I find myself moving into open field to get an acceptable calibration?! Needless to say, very disappointed.

i too had the "move aircraft or calibrate..." today for the first time, though thats not saying much, ive only had this for two days. i was indoors, in a big old house, near (7 ft) from lead latticed windows. so not sure if that was the cause...but i went outside for my compass cal and all went well.

I went to an open area, away from anything, and getting the same compass errors. Not happy. Any ideas?

Also took this video when it was back inside (it did this outside too). Note the sound the P3 is making...almost like when it is doing the firmware update?? What is that? Obviously as I get closer, that noise is from interference from the iPhone

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvnbefosrhumkye/IMG_1318.m4v?dl=0
Could be audio feedback, interference. Just like when bringing a microphone closer to an amplifier speaker. My cordless phone does the same when I set it too close to my computer speaker.

This compass topic is getting very confusing.

For example, when flying my fc40 for instance and landing it in the bed of my pickup truck the LED would flash yellow/red indicating a compass error. However, repositioning the fc40 from where I had a good compass it flew fine without recalibrating.

Can I assume the P3 compass will react in the same way? Or do I need to recalibrate it even though I get a "Safe to fly" after repositioning?

Could be audio feedback, interference. Just like when bringing a microphone closer to an amplifier speaker. My cordless phone does the same when I set it too close to my computer speaker.

Right, what I meant was that the sound it is making (the sound where it sounds like it is updating firmware) is what I was referring to...not the sound that sounded like audio interference (because that is what that was). The "firmware" sound was present inside or outside in an open area.

This compass topic is getting very confusing.

For example, when flying my fc40 for instance and landing it in the bed of my pickup truck the LED would flash yellow/red indicating a compass error. However, repositioning the fc40 from where I had a good compass it flew fine without recalibrating.

Can I assume the P3 compass will react in the same way? Or do I need to recalibrate it even though I get a "Safe to fly" after repositioning?

Heres what I think as everyone's opinions differ.

I don't do compass calibrations unless the sensor > compass values are outside 1300-1700. My P3 adv usually sits at 1500 mod value.

Find an open field and do the compass calibration. This will take a clean "snapshot".
Return to the site you are flying at and before launch, have a look at the compass mod values. If outside the ranges, walk to another or use a cardboard/plastic box as there could be rebar in the ground. The compass anomalies happen closest to ground, so when you get airborne, the compass should return to normal.

Lets look at this the other way around.
If you do a compass calibration near metals/metallic/magnetic objects, you will get a dirty compass "snapshot" - a false north. Once you get airborne, the phantom's north will change to the true north and hence the flyway. This wont happen in the P3 as it now knows how to detect anomalies. The P3 will switch to P-Atti mode and therefore you will need to fly her back without the GPS and compass.

So what is the best way to degauss the compass. Nothing I have tried is working. I've gone out to an empty field...still compass error. Re-installed the latest firmware...still compass error. Tried calling DJI support - they don't even pick up, or allow you to go on hold (a whole other rant)...still compass error?? Is degaussing next? I know it involved a magnet around the compass. Help!!

So what is the best way to degauss the compass. Nothing I have tried is working. I've gone out to an empty field...still compass error. Re-installed the latest firmware...still compass error. Tried calling DJI support - they don't even pick up, or allow you to go on hold (a whole other rant)...still compass error?? Is degaussing next? I know it involved a magnet around the compass. Help!!
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-and-degaussing.9470/

If you are getting a compass error thats not going away maybe try doing a compass calibration instead of an imu calibration. Being they are not the same thing.

If you are getting a compass error thats not going away maybe try doing a compass calibration instead of an imu calibration. Being they are not the same thing.
I believe he has already tried that.

I am getting the exact error too with my P3 Pro and have tried everything.. it actually shows up to 10 or more satelites locked in but won't go into gps mode.. at times for a breif momet the error will disappear and go into gps mode and then back out again and give message to fly in non gps mode.. and then back to the error message again... I flew it yesterday and it didn't handle worth a darn and got away from me... if I didn't have the "come home" option I would have lost it. I tried it again today and when the "safe to fly gps" lit up I tried it and only got a few feet off the ground and it took off sideways.. quick put it down hard and took the tips off a couple props... Came in and did the IMU calibration again and compass calibration and same message. I'm fairly new to drones and just about scared to even try it till I can find some answers...

I am getting the exact error too with my P3 Pro and have tried everything.. it actually shows up to 10 or more satelites locked in but won't go into gps mode.. at times for a breif momet the error will disappear and go into gps mode and then back out again and give message to fly in non gps mode.. and then back to the error message again... I flew it yesterday and it didn't handle worth a darn and got away from me... if I didn't have the "come home" option I would have lost it. I tried it again today and when the "safe to fly gps" lit up I tried it and only got a few feet off the ground and it took off sideways.. quick put it down hard and took the tips off a couple props... Came in and did the IMU calibration again and compass calibration and same message. I'm fairly new to drones and just about scared to even try it till I can find some answers...
Make sure you are in a wide open area when you do the compass calibration and away from all metal objects. Do not take of near metal objects on take off from concrete driveways or sidewalks that may have rebar or wire mesh in them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers