Compass Calibration

Reaction score
I have the Phantom 2 Vision. I also have two Phantom 1s. I am having trouble calibrating the compass on the Vision right out of the box.

When I go into calibration mode I can get a green light after rotating 360 degrees in the horizontal orientation. However, I either get flashing red/yellow or sometimes just a solid yellow light after rotation 360 degrees in the vertical orientation. I am not near anything metal, electrical, or otherwise interfering with the compass.

I have updated firmware on both the unit and also the camera.

I have also tried using a magnet on the compass numerous times. btw, I can not see the last number in the mod field (I think) all the way. I have set my screen resolution to every possible setting with no luck. I can barely see the number but am guessing for the most part.

I bought this one from B&H and haven't gotten much help. I'm about to return it after only having it less than a week.

If anyone has an idea please let me know.

Thanks,
John

If you can't see the mod value then there's no point using a magnet as you'll never see when you bring it back in range. You shouldn't have to do that out of the box of course. You might want to send it back anyway and get a replacement - B&H have a good reputation for handling returns in an efficient manner, apparently.

Thanks for the reply. After waiting an hour on the phone for DJI support they came to the same conclusion. I called B&H and am doing a cross ship. As for the mod value field, DJI seemed to think it may be because I'm using a Surface Pro witch has a wide screen format. I can see a portion of the first number so it's not all bad but it would be nice not have to take a 30% guess. I have tried every screen resolution without any luck. DJI seemed to think the compass module was bad or the cable to the compass was faulty.

Thank you,
John

p.s. Can't wait for the waypoint upgrade.

Dudes I have the same problem, just cant cali my compass... ive tried many times and watch lots of tutorials videos and cant get it to work...
The difference is I can see on my naza M software that my compass is working properly.. My raw compass have all parameters X, Y and Z between -300 and 300 and my MOD value is around 1200

Already tried doing basic and advanced cali and both of them didnt helped much... Already tried using magnets, they alter the values but they go back to the normal ones cited above.

When i try to do the maneuvers for calibrating, i can get the constant yellow and the constant green but When i finish the vertical axis I keep get those flashings red lights

What can I do?
Thx guys

just fixed it..
just to inform for the ones who still got this problem:

I used a strong magnet on the 3 axis X Y Z, very near the compass and in circular movements until it went for that "red and yellow" problem that stands for "compass error too big". Then I did the maneuvers for reseting the compass that u find it online on YT.
After scrambling and then reseting the compass, I could Cali and do the axis maneuvers for hand calibrating and consequently could fly in ATTI/GPS mode

thx and hope to help someone

Thanks for the update.

I too tried the magnet about 6-8 times but never got mine to calibrate. Seems you had the same problem at first. I rotated a magnet in circular motion too but no go. Got my replacement today so will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.

man u gotta try strong magnets and hard movements around, near the compass
I kept trying for more than half an hour till i realized it.

I disasembled an old and big sound speaker and used the magnet
good luck

Thanks. I was using a small magnet like the one they used in the tutorial. I got my replacement today and it works like a charm. I will get a strong magnet for when it happens again, which I'm sure it will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.