Compass Calibration

Reaction score
This is getting frustrating. Trying to do my first flight. After switching everything on, Phantom self tests and seems ok and then nothing but flashing yellow. After flipping the right switch 5-10 times light keeps flashing during and after the calibration dance.
It just keeps flashing yellow until turned off. Also, I am showing 8 satellites on Vision app. Vision app also said calibration
is needed? Tried to search in here for answers but nothing specific to my problem.
Just downloaded software and firmware again. Re calibrated V3 controller too.
Help Please. 60 degrees in Kansas today and trying to fly.
Thanks
Don

How exactly are you doing the calibration dance?

Knew that would get a quick response. Hold Phantom and 360 degree horizontal then turn on side and do the same.
Tried fast, slower and slow. Still nothing but yellow flashing.
Am I missing something.
Thanks

This may not help but try initiating the compass calibration in the Vision App. Instead of flipping switch S1. I do it this way just to keep wear and tear off the S1 switch but it may work for you starting from the Vision App. Would not hurt to try.....

Hdman1216 said:
Knew that would get a quick response. Hold Phantom and 360 degree horizontal then turn on side and do the same.
Tried fast, slower and slow. Still nothing but yellow flashing.
Am I missing something.
Thanks

Turn on side???? (I think) your doing it wrong.

Find open field and remove all metal objects on yourself.
Enable the calibration via DJI app.
I use 2 hands and hold the lower skids above my head and spin 360.
look up and watch the light change.
Then drop the nose of the phantom down and spin again.
look up and watch the light change.

Done.

I appreciate everyone's response. The problem is that after flipping the right side switch, I get nothing but a FLASHING YELLOW LIGHT. It NEVER changes when I turn the Phantom horizontal or verticle. (I know how to turn the Phantom).
All software is current.

Don

rapid yellow lights when you first turn on the phantom = RTH/Failsafe = no controller detected.
Is your controller on?

sequence Mako? ( turning bird before TX) or having tx s1 and s2 on wrong position?

Hdman1216 said:
Yes, controller is on. Power up lights are correct then defaults to flashing yellow.

will hook the phantom and transmitter to pc DJI assist and make sure on RC setting your s1 s2 are in the right setting,

marg2 said:
sequence Mako? ( turning bird before TX) or having tx s1 and s2 on wrong position?

IMO Sequence doesn't matter.
DJI recommends transmitter on first. You need this on to get in calibration mode anyways (you can do via app also).

I'm gonna dumb it down and eliminate errors.
Im doing this from memory so you may burn me if you like..

LEAVE BOTH TOGGLE switches in the UPPER most position on the transmitter.
Turn the bird on and leave the bird in an open field and try and get green flashes for the >7 sats. This will eliminate any incorrect flashes you may see.
When you see stable greens start the calibration.
To initialise the compass calibration, flick the right toggle on the transmitter all the way down and all the way up x 5 or more and leave it in the UP POSITION.
The lights will change to yellow flashes. Pick up the phantom and spin on its horizon above your head 360 till the lights become a solid yellow. Keep it above your head and point the nose down and spin another 360, till the lights flash stable green.

marg2 said:
Hdman1216 said:
Yes, controller is on. Power up lights are correct then defaults to flashing yellow.

will hook the phantom and transmitter to pc DJI assist and make sure on RC setting your s1 s2 are in the right setting,

Take the props off and turn phantom and transmitter on.
Wiggle both sticks on the transmitter. Can you tell me if the camera is moving on its yaw/pan axis? It should have slight movement.
If it is, then the controller Is talking to the phantom.

The yellow flashes can also mean that the controller and phantom need calibrating.

turning the bird either way will get a response from the LED's if everything is working. It sounds like the bird is not seeing the transmitter.

Just a simple test. Without props attached, turn everything on as per normal, wifi transmitter, controller, then the bird. If after the initial self test you still get the yellow LED's, turn everything off then turn the bird on by itself if you get exactly the same LED responses it definitely sounds like no transmitter is being detected.

try rebinding the transmitter to the bird.

1. s1 up and down 6x stop in the middle. rotate 360 until green.
2. s1 up and down 6x stop in the middle. rotate 360 with camera facing the ground until green.

Seems weird but until I did that it would not calibrate.

ncdrone, you should not toggle S1 in the middle of the calibration. Perhaps the second toggle attempt was ignored since your were already in mid calibration.

msinger said:
ncdrone, you should not toggle S1 in the middle of the calibration. Perhaps the second toggle attempt was ignored since your were already in mid calibration.

Agreed, I shouldn't have to but its the only way it works. Weird. I might try a reset, but worried it will screwup my workaround. :eek:

ncdrone said:
1. s1 up and down 6x stop in the middle. rotate 360 until green.
2. s1 up and down 6x stop in the middle. rotate 360 with camera facing the ground until green.

Seems weird but until I did that it would not calibrate.

What happens if you do the second rotation without the second toggle?

Can you start your motors? If not it might be controller is not bounded to the Phantom. Just a thought

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl