Compass calibration with 3.12 Red Lights

Reaction score
I have seen discussions in a few places on similar problem. I start up normally and get green lights with 11 or so satellites showing. I do a compass calibration and all goes well until the end then get all red lights blinking. They never go green even with 11 sats showing. If i power down and back up and not do a compass calibration the green lights show up and off I go. This did not happen ever with 3.08. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Are you near a no fly zone or in a restricted-altitude zone?

Last edited:
The number of satellites has no bearing on the compass calibration.

It's a local issue.

I've seen quite a few people with this problem since the latest update. I'm not sure whats happening about it.
If you install the 3.6 assistant you can downgrade to 3.08.

The compass calibrated first time with my V3, all the latest updates. Not sure why some others are having problems.

I had EXACTLY the same thing happen. The weird part is that the compass would no longer calibrate even after downgrading again to 3.08. After some time on the phone with a support rep, they concluded that something went wrong during the 3.12 upgrade process and I needed to return the Phantom for service. As you might imagine, I was pretty pissed off that I need to return a 4 week old copter that was in perfect condition prior to the update. I tried to return the unit but I was 4 days past the exchange deadline.

DJI pays for ground shipping back -- 5 days from NYC -- but the repair time was quoted as 4 weeks!!! Can't believe I'll be without it for so long because of this.

Mark

It may be a problem with the way you're calibrating the compass? Red lights at the end means compass calibration failed.
Are you sure you're doing it right?
You're not wearing a watch or any other metal while calibrating right?
You're not near any large metal object or structure are you?

Thanks. Yes, I am sure I am doing it properly. Part of the problem troubleshooting this has been that everyone just assumes people with problems don't know what they are doing. This Phantom was calibrated without incident in that location by me many times. As does my friends Phantom.

Again, thanks but this is a technical problem which is why the technical told me to send it back.

Mchernis, you should not react defensive when a member of this forum like Cahutch asks the right question in an attempt to be of your assistance.

Perhaps... But, this problem has been incredibly frustrating --- in part because people (especially, DJI) don't listen (or, read) what you are saying. Note my original post---it was in response to someone having a similar problem and was after I spent an hour on the phone with DJI and being instructed to ship my drone back for repair. In my opinion --- it was not the right question given my post or the prior post on the thread. But, sorry---I do recognize he was trying to help.

Yet, I posted what I did so the person who started the thread would see he/she may need to return the drone for repair.

I have heard tell of the compass going bad but I wouldn't send it back for that, I'd just order a new one and replace it myself.
I have also seen at least one account here on this forum where the user was able to degauss his compass and get it working again.

Does the DJI Phone app have a warning appear? Enable the FPV so you can see the warning.
If you do see a warning in relation to compass it could mean that you may have to do the compass fix.
Get a laptop, a magnet and a cardboard box and go into an open field. Place the phantom on the box and start the Phantom Assist. Tell us what the MOD value for the compass is. It should be 1300-1700 or so. If its way off, then you may need use a magnet to lower the MOD values down. This is done by moving the magnet near the compass and checking the values gain.

There is an old youtube clip made by Colin McGuinn (I cant post it as im at work). He demonstrates how to re-adjust the compass.

Thanks so much. I wish the DJI guys told me to try this before I sent it back. Now, I just have my fingers crossed that when it finally comes back it is working and in one piece.

Thanks,

Mark

Are any of these users "needing" to calibrate. Or are you just calibrating because you think it helps.

Calibration is just to tell the bird where it is in the world...

Calibrating over and over every time you fly is completely unnecessary and can cause a lot more problems than it solves.

If it "needs" calibration... it will call for it on startup with yellow flashing lights and a pop-up on screen. (Or some other slight problems that show up in flight like J-hook and toilet bowl hover)

Last year I got my P2V+ on preorder in April and calibrated the compass to my area in Florida... and never calibrated it again for as long as I owned it. (Until a crash from a bad motor upgrade to V3 version)

I understand it is a problem if you "can't" calibrate at all... but all this "safety calibrating" for no reason is causing a lot of issues as well.

Im confused....

The Placard on the Bottom of my P2V+ v.3 says to calibrate the compass prior to every flight.
I am assuming this means even after battery changes when flying in the same location...?

Further... The checklist included in the vision app..says to calibrate prior to every flight. I figured it was a procedure specific to v.3?

Recallibratingil of the compas is only required when flying in a place exceding appoximately more than 30 miles away from the place you previously callibrated the compas. Doing it more often does not serve any purpose and therefore only introduces only more chances something goes wrong.

I will calibrate my compass depending on the quads characteristics while hovering around 60ft just after the initial launch. If the quad hovers in a square pattern, or drifts over 10-15ft after doing a stationary 360 turn in either direction, I will perform a calibration. I also only do calibrations by what I call the manual method which is by using the S1 switch instead of the app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers