Compass calibration vertical mode incomplete

Reaction score
The first part of my compass calibration (rotating in normal flight attitude) works fine — I get the green LEDs after a little over one rotation. But when I do the second part (rotating nose-down) instead of returning to green, LEDs display slow yellow flashing, no matter how many times I rotate. Return to horizontal mode and re-rotate, and I get green again. The bird seems to fly reliably if I've done that, but the fact that it's not behaving as it should makes me uncomfortable. Anyone else experience this?

The first part of my compass calibration (rotating in normal flight attitude) works fine — I get the green LEDs after a little over one rotation. But when I do the second part (rotating nose-down) instead of returning to green, LEDs display slow yellow flashing, no matter how many times I rotate. Return to horizontal mode and re-rotate, and I get green again. The bird seems to fly reliably if I've done that, but the fact that it's not behaving as it should makes me uncomfortable. Anyone else experience this?

I'm having the same problem. I have downloaded Assistant (latest version 3.8) and uploaded latest firmware. Originally started with a wrecked P2V+ from a company. The operator said the final crash was caused by a prop flying off in flight (sounds like a motor shut down and prop spun itself off). Someone at the company had replaced the entire body, one motor and an ESC board.
When I first powered it up (all batteries full charge and fresh in RC controller), motors would not start. I ran Assistant to upload latest firmware and when I used the Tool tab found the IMU way out and needing calibration. Once I got the IMU to settle down the motors actually started and were controllable. Then I tried to calibrate the compass. Horizontal fine but multiple tries in the vertical to no avail. Also, GPS would not lock on any satellites. I removed the GPS board to check if the antenna was damaged but could not see any damage. Nevertheless, I ordered a new antenna from Digikey. Once it gets here in the mail I will install it and let you know how it does. Other than that, still troubleshooting. Perhaps someone else here has a better answer. Oh, BTW, I also discovered that the wifi antennas in the battery box had dislodged and moved from the crash. Had to remix then with double sided tape. That still did not help compass calibration.

@boomer1234 - sorry, I don't understand the question.

@paulie737 - As far as I know a GPS antenna fault wouldn't affect the compass in any way. Maybe it is a hardware fault somewhere in the compass system, maybe in electronics or software, I've no idea. As I said, the bird seems to fly accurately anyway, as long as it has enough satellites. That's often not the case with my machine, so like you I've ordered a Digikey antenna — not because mine is damaged, but because the Digikey claims 3 dB more gain (ie twice as sensitive). I'm hoping it comes in tomorrow's mail.

Yellow flashes can be a few things...
How are you initiating your compass calibration? via the app or via the remote (5x toggle S1). If via Vision app, then turn on your remote first. Yellow flashes mean no RC communications.
Another could be that you are stuck in a certain mode - ATTI, CL, HL, failsafe, no remote signal. This could be from a damaged S1 or S2 switch. Plug into the PC and run RC12/Phantom Assist and make sure the toggle switches S1 and S2 move to -1000, 0 and 1000. They should hit 3 points. The switches are cheap and easy to replace and are known to foul up.

Dave I finally got mine to calibrate in the vertical by going out in my field. Powered everything up, and set the remote and iPhone about 25 feet away. When I did the vertical I got a green. Also locked up quickly to 6 sats. Before I was doing it in the house with no success.

p

Glad to hear it, Paulie. Not surprised it wasn't working in the house. I've done it out in the open many times, with no more success.

I installed the replacement Digikey GPS antenna yesterday. First time I tested reception after that, I got 8 satellites almost instantly. So I thought my GPS problems were solved. However trying it again today, it's not as good or as fast, though after a few minutes I am getting 6. That always makes me nervous though, since it could drop to 5 in flight. I had hoped for better.

Glad to hear it, Paulie. Not surprised it wasn't working in the house. I've done it out in the open many times, with no more success.

I installed the replacement Digikey GPS antenna yesterday. First time I tested reception after that, I got 8 satellites almost instantly. So I thought my GPS problems were solved. However trying it again today, it's not as good or as fast, though after a few minutes I am getting 6. That always makes me nervous though, since it could drop to 5 in flight. I had hoped for better.
have you done the foil mod?

have you done the foil mod?

Yes, I did that before replacing the antenna. It helped a little, but not enough. I've now tested four times since replacing antenna — always get at least 6 satellites, sometimes up to 8 though it can still take 10 minutes to find them.

I'm seeing the same thing at times , not much of a difference. I do know the first time it took a long time to acquire sats. Seems to pick them better after the first time I did it. Not sure if it was worth the effort to do it.

Yes, I did that before replacing the antenna. It helped a little, but not enough. I've now tested four times since replacing antenna — always get at least 6 satellites, sometimes up to 8 though it can still take 10 minutes to find them.

curious what antenna part number did you order

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan