Compass Calibration - Success after using magnet

Reaction score
I was trying to calibrate my compass and got the dreaded red / amber warning. I think amber...

I then used a magnet and it passed the calibration perfectly.

Question : Should I be looking at the values through the assistant OR the fact that it passed is good enough?

jedi88 said:
I was trying to calibrate my compass and got the dreaded red / amber warning. I think amber...

I then used a magnet and it passed the calibration perfectly.

Question : Should I be looking at the values through the assistant OR the fact that it passed is good enough?

How did you use a magnet to get the compass to calibrate?

Did you do a demagnetization dance or something else?

Did you do a demagnetization dance or something else?

Took a magnet and circled the compass a few times, then lights went away and calibration was successful

I had watched the video a few times...

My Compass raw

x - 16 y -237 z- 266 MOD = 2143

Looks like I need to get mod down to 1200-1600

Weird how calibration passed?

jedi88 said:
I had watched the video a few times...

My Compass raw

x - 16 y -237 z- 266 MOD = 2143

Looks like I need to get mod down to 1200-1600

Weird how calibration passed?
This video made me cringe a little. As a veteran electronics guy this method of de-magnetizing was...sloppy.
The proper way to de-magnetize is to introduce alternating polarities and gradually remove them.
So taking a magnet and bringing it in close proximity of the compass while constantly moving it in a circular motion. Then, while still moving it, gradually move farther away from the compass until you are several feet away. I magnetize screwdrivers all the time by introducing a single polarity. To de-magnetize I would introduce apposing polarities and gradually reduce it.
I have found you can de-magnetize a screwdriver by banging it on a hard surface. Probably not a good idea for the Phantom! :D

Geo

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4