Compass calibration question

Reaction score
So I've had my P3P for a few weeks, and haven't flown it much at all yet, weather and life getting in the way... but I have a quick question on compass calibration (and not the usual question... lol...)

So when I fired up the P3P for the first time, of course it said the compass needs to be calibrated. So I went in my back yard and did the "DJI Dance" and it completed fine. I couldn't fly because rain was due. fast-forward a week and I was finally ready to fly. I have a ballfield across the street from my house. So when I fired everything up, it said I needed to calibrate again, so i did, and it completed.

Yesterday I got an NVidia K1 tablet, and installed DJI GO. I fired up everything just to make sure the app worked and all that... and what do you think I saw?? Yup, compass needed calibration again. I didn't do it because it was really late when I got everything together.

So why does it keep asking me to calibrate? The first 2 times I was using DJI GO on my iPhone 6+, and last night it was the tablet. Is the calibration setting stored in the device somewhere? I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to break it out today, but I'll try, and I'll calibrate to see what happens. It's just weird that for the 3 times I turned it on it says I need to calibrate...

So I've had my P3P for a few weeks, and haven't flown it much at all yet, weather and life getting in the way... but I have a quick question on compass calibration (and not the usual question... lol...)

So when I fired up the P3P for the first time, of course it said the compass needs to be calibrated. So I went in my back yard and did the "DJI Dance" and it completed fine. I couldn't fly because rain was due. fast-forward a week and I was finally ready to fly. I have a ballfield across the street from my house. So when I fired everything up, it said I needed to calibrate again, so i did, and it completed.

Yesterday I got an NVidia K1 tablet, and installed DJI GO. I fired up everything just to make sure the app worked and all that... and what do you think I saw?? Yup, compass needed calibration again. I didn't do it because it was really late when I got everything together.

So why does it keep asking me to calibrate? The first 2 times I was using DJI GO on my iPhone 6+, and last night it was the tablet. Is the calibration setting stored in the device somewhere? I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to break it out today, but I'll try, and I'll calibrate to see what happens. It's just weird that for the 3 times I turned it on it says I need to calibrate...
Exactly how is it 'asking' you to calibrate?

When you start up the GO app, the status screen shows the calibration button appearing to be highlighted(boxed), but that is just to show you clearly where it is. It does not mean "calibrate now!".

Reactions: hawkeye62
Yea, guess I should have reworded that. yea, it doesn't "ask" me to calibrate..

So when the white box is there I don't need to calibrate? It seems to disappear when I do, so I thought it was the app's way of telling me I need to calibrate. I wish I had a screen shot but I'm at work now... still new to the DJI GO app.

Thanks for the reply...

Yea, guess I should have reworded that. yea, it doesn't "ask" me to calibrate..

So when the white box is there I don't need to calibrate? It seems to disappear when I do, so I thought it was the app's way of telling me I need to calibrate. I wish I had a screen shot but I'm at work now... still new to the DJI GO app.

Thanks for the reply...
I know what you meant by 'ask'. I was just trying to establish how you were understanding the app to be prompting you.

Anyway, you'll notice that next to the boxed 'calibrate' is the actual status. If it says 'normal', then well, it's normal!

I know you don't have to but I calibrate every time, it only takes 10 seconds, I just wait till the coasts clear before I do the dance!

Anyway, you'll notice that next to the boxed 'calibrate' is the actual status. If it says 'normal', then well, it's normal!

Ok, so why in the heck did my eyes not see that??? lol... I'll check it again tonight when I get home... thanks again...

I know you don't have to but I calibrate every time, it only takes 10 seconds, I just wait till the coasts clear before I do the dance!

I'm hoping that after you saying that, that this thread doesn't turn into a "calibrate or not calibrate" threads... I've had my P2 for almost a year, and only calibrated it once....

I'm hoping that after you saying that, that this thread doesn't turn into a "calibrate or not calibrate" threads... I've had my P2 for almost a year, and only calibrated it once....
Just link any naysayers to this thread ;)

So here's the screenshot... why do they have to put the frigging "Calibrate" square there when it doesn't need to be??? Ugh... Why didn't they put one at IMU as well??? Oh well... thanks for the help... :)

Screenshot_20160525-221802.png

Good pilot always check all . include check and calibrate navigation system .
Its only need you to spin twice hahaha

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj