Compass calibration question

Reaction score
Yep... another compass calibration question... sorry...

Here's the scoop: As I am new to my Phantom, I mostly fly in a field directly across the street from my house. I did one compass calibration there, and I know that I only have to do it once at the same location. So I flew last week with no issues. Yesterday I flew it at my Dad's house, and did a calibration since I've never flown there before, and he lives about 15 miles or so away from me.

So... now what if tonight I want to fly across from my house again. Do I do another calibration since I calibrated it at my Dad's yesterday, or should I be all set because I've flown there before?

Sorry if it's a silly question...

I tend to follow the general consensus of only calibrating when you are 100 miles away from your last calibration. With the exception of calibrating after firmware updates. Also too, I look at the compass mod values and make sure it's floating around 1500. I'll re-calibrate if it's off.

Use the mod values as mentioned.

I have traveled as far as 600 miles with no need for recal.

Thanks... just read the post. Makes sense. Knew about not having cell phones close and all that. I doubt I'll be flying anywhere further than 100 miles from my house anytime soon.

Always wondered about the difference between spinning the Phantom in your hand vs. turning your body, guess there's no difference. Kinda like body spinning better, I'm always afraid of dropping the Phantom when spinning in my hands... :)

How do you check the mod values?

That was my next question... been busy here at work. I have a P2 Non-Vision, but I have FPV installed (ImmersionRC 600, iOSD mini, BP RC801). I saw on the BP instructions that there's a half-shaded diamond that would appear at the bottom of the display if there was an issue with the compass...

Always wondered about the difference between spinning the Phantom in your hand vs. turning your body
There is no difference. So, it's best to spin your body so you don't risk dropping your Phantom.

I tend to follow the general consensus of only calibrating when you are 100 miles away from your last calibration. With the exception of calibrating after firmware updates. Also too, I look at the compass mod values and make sure it's floating around 1500. I'll re-calibrate if it's off.

I think there are a few more exceptions....you should also recalibrate if/when...

If you've hard an excessively hard landing (ie crash) or you "may" have put the Phantom's compass too near a source of magnetism.

Both of those can throw the compass off and so recalibrate or at least check the mod value if either has occurred.

There is no difference. So, it's best to spin your body so you don't risk dropping your Phantom.
NO DIFFERENCE ....Bull !
You must be young and healthy . Now last time I did the spin around way I got dizzy and fell down ! Broke 2 props and liked to put my eye out !
Busted up my hip and still have a limp o_O

just kidding.jpg
..I concur..spin with body .:cool:

Just turn yourself into a lazy Susan and spin. Fun ain't it! Especially spinning and trying to look under its butt at those lights. Makes me Old and Dizzy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub