Compass Calibration // PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Greetings -

I recently purchased my DJI Phantom 2 w/ the ZENMUSE H4-3D Gimbal about one week ago. I found success in my first few flights with the drone. I calibrated it correctly before flying, and everything went great.

It wasn't until two days ago when I was calibrating it and on the second vertical rotation I received yellow/red flashing LED lights. I knew this meant the process had failed so I restarted the calibration process and the same thing happened. After probably five more attempts, the same thing continued to occur, except now after the second vertical rotation, I got a solid red light.

I looked online to seek help and watched all kinds of videos. I have tried just about everything and NOTHING has worked.

My Steps to calibrating my Phantom 2:

1) I turn on the transmitter
2) I turn on the Phantom 2
3) I flip the S1 switch 6 times until the solid yellow LED light comes on
4) I horizontally rotate my phantom 2 360 degrees, then the solid green LED light comes on

ALL OF THESE STEPS ARE GOOD SO FAR

But then,

I go to vertically rotate my phantom 2 (nose pointing down) and the LED lights either start flashing yellow/red, or they turn solid red.

I have tried this multiple times in an open field with nothing around me and I get the same result.

WHAT DO I DO?

Is my phantom 2 defective?

Someone PLEASE help me.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Greetings -

I recently purchased my DJI Phantom 2 w/ the ZENMUSE H4-3D Gimbal about one week ago. I found success in my first few flights with the drone. I calibrated it correctly before flying, and everything went great.

It wasn't until two days ago when I was calibrating it and on the second vertical rotation I received yellow/red flashing LED lights. I knew this meant the process had failed so I restarted the calibration process and the same thing happened. After probably five more attempts, the same thing continued to occur, except now after the second vertical rotation, I got a solid red light.

I looked online to seek help and watched all kinds of videos. I have tried just about everything and NOTHING has worked.

My Steps to calibrating my Phantom 2:

1) I turn on the transmitter
2) I turn on the Phantom 2
3) I flip the S1 switch 6 times until the solid yellow LED light comes on
4) I horizontally rotate my phantom 2 360 degrees, then the solid green LED light comes on

ALL OF THESE STEPS ARE GOOD SO FAR

But then,

I go to vertically rotate my phantom 2 (nose pointing down) and the LED lights either start flashing yellow/red, or they turn solid red.

I have tried this multiple times in an open field with nothing around me and I get the same result.

WHAT DO I DO?

Is my phantom 2 defective?

Someone PLEASE help me.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Roy watching videos on how to calibrate the compass isn't going help if there any rebar, underground electric lines or metal pipes under where you are trying calibrate the compass. If you're inside the house trying to calibrate take it outside. If this problem is happening outside move to different location and try again.

Check your harness connection to compass. . Also check your compass mod value in the assistant software. It could be out of range. Is it possible the quad was placed by a magnetic field while being stored? Speakers..magnets..magnetic screwdriver etc. .Having something on your person could do it too. Mine failed one day because I had a small magnetic hex chuck in my pocket and I held the quad close to my body when doing the compass dance. I did it again at arms length and all was ok.

Roy watching videos on how to calibrate the compass isn't going help if there any rebar, underground electric lines or metal pipes under where you are trying calibrate the compass. If you're inside the house trying to calibrate take it outside. If this problem is happening outside move to different location and try again.

Thank you for the replies. What does it mean when I get a solid red light after the second rotation?

It means the compass calibration failed. I'll also say that some are holding the craft improperly when doing the dance. I have a customer that won a P2 vision plus a year ago. While there doing service we got to talking. He said he was having problems with the compass calibration. I asked him to show me how he did it. Totally screwed up. First part was ok but second part, he started spinning the quad like a wagon wheel.

If you just power up the tx and then the P2 and let it go through its startup sequence, what lights do you get? Slow flashing green?

I always let it finish the startup before doing a compass cal.

Red and yellow blinking and solid red are two different errors.

If your P2 is turning solid red after a compass cal you should connect the P2 to assistant software and check the settings under the tools tab and you have numbers very close to this. If not do advanced IMU calibration on a completely level surface.
IMG_0020.jpg

Very seldom do I calibrate the compass unless I have modifications or drive more than 100 miles away from where the last cal was done. There is also a warning icon in the mini iOSD that will popup if your over metal or the compass is out of calibration.

Last edited:
Yellow then green the calibration was successful.
Yellow then green and quick flashing red yellow red yellow failed compas calibration. Remove keys, phone or any other metal objects near the quad. If you can't get a clean calibration try another location close by. Not over concrete or near any chain link fences or other metal objects.
What concerns me is you stating you get a solid red light after calibration. That can mean a firmware update fails. Did you do any updates in the assistant?

Do what Jason says. I have only had a problem with calibration one time. I had to put it onto the computer and do the advanced calibration. That fixed it. Don't calibrate too often. It really isn't needed unless you crash, fly a great distance from where you normally fly, or do an update.

hey buddy, just check if your gimbal roll motor's magnetic field is messing with the compass, I was using a feiyu 2 axis and always wondered what went wrong. removed the gimbal and everything works fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31