Compass calibration keeps failing

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just picked up a Phantom 2 with the gimbal and a gopro black. I am getting it ready for its first flight and I can't get the compass to calibrate correctly. I go out into the middle of a field, flip the S1 switch up and down 10 times, and the lights turn solid yellow. I rotate it about the horizontal axis until they turn green, then flip it nose down and rotate it about the vertical axis and they start flashing yellow/red really fast. I have done this over and over again in different locations and had the same issue. Kind of frustrated because I just want to go fly the thing.

Any tips? I have watched all of the videos and read the manual twice, so I am kind of stumped.

Here are my numbers in the advanced software:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 1.40.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 1.40.36 PM.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 704
Odd. No idea. Sounds like you're doing it the right way. Make sure you are doing it as far away from large metal and magnetic objects as possible. Not too close to power lines either especially big ones. A big grass field would be good. No phones or car remotes, etc. in your pocket. Is it possible the compass was exposed to a reasonably strong magnetic field and maybe needs degaussing? I haven't yet figured out what the mod numbers are for so can't help there. Do you have any FPV equipment installed near the compass? Have you removed the landing gear at any point?

If that doesn't help, my only suggestion would be to keep trying while changing one variable at a time. Change location. Hold it steady in your hand away from the ground while flipping S1. Put it on the ground and move the RC further away. Do the compass dance way where you turn around with the phantom and then try it just by turning it in your hands.

The magnetometer is definitely fickle. I was checking something on my FPV last night, turned the P2 on and noticed right away it was flashing yellow red. Took me a few minutes to realize it was the subwoofer 5ft away that was putting the compass out of whack. 15ft away, back to normal.

Updating this for future users who have the same issue:

Thanks for the quick suggestions everyone. After trying everything, including reflashing all current firmware and power cycling several times, plus trying to calibrate in several different locations, I finally followed the video for the old phantom to deguass the compass. I used a little magnet that I normally use to retrieve fallen sockets or other metal pieces in hard to reach places, and waived it all around the compass while watching the values change in the software. Took several different times but finally I got it to calibrate in my living room. Took it outside in my yard and ran through the calibration procedure again with success, so that is good news. I gotta say though, after dropping $1400 yesterday on this setup + a GoPro Black, I am pretty disappointed I already had to troubleshoot an issue before I could even attempt to fly the thing. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, but I am off for my first test flight!

cgreer00 said:
Updating this for future users who have the same issue:

Thanks for the quick suggestions everyone. After trying everything, including reflashing all current firmware and power cycling several times, plus trying to calibrate in several different locations, I finally followed the video for the old phantom to deguass the compass. I used a little magnet that I normally use to retrieve fallen sockets or other metal pieces in hard to reach places, and waived it all around the compass while watching the values change in the software. Took several different times but finally I got it to calibrate in my living room. Took it outside in my yard and ran through the calibration procedure again with success, so that is good news. I gotta say though, after dropping $1400 yesterday on this setup + a GoPro Black, I am pretty disappointed I already had to troubleshoot an issue before I could even attempt to fly the thing. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, but I am off for my first test flight!

It could've been shipped sitting next to a speaker magnet. You never know. Glad the degaussing worked.

Flight was awesome, and it hovered very reliably with no wandering to speak of. Can't wait to get the microsd card for my GoPro so I can shoot some footage!

Make sure to add your contact info to the bird just in case it goes berserk...

AtomicDog said:
It's working correctly if it's flashing yellow after the second rotation with nose down...

Check out DJI video, at 2:54 he mentions that it's supposed to go back to the flashing yellow after the compass has calibrated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItFBLPlsHc0

If you read the thread you will see that it wasn't a matter of understanding the lights. As well, I do believe you are incorrect. You will get a steady yellow when the Phantom is ready to be calibrated, a steady green after the first 360 and nothing after the second 360 if it is successful (meaning the Phantom will display lights for whatever state/action it is in unrelated to the compass). A failure would be yellow and red alternating.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic