Compass Calibration Issue - Yellow [UPDATED EXPLANATION]

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I first opened my Phantom 2 I have had Compass Calibration issues. After I initiate Compass Calibration mode I always complete the horizontal calibration successfully as noted by the LED flight indicators switch to solid green. However while holding the Phantom 2 vertically and rotating it 360 on its center axis the flight indicators do not disappear but instead turn a solid yellow. I find this odd, as I am not getting a flash between yellow and red indicating a failure. This leads me to believe there is another issue or the Compass Calibration mode is being successfully completed and the Yellow indicator may be something else?

Keep in mind I have flown this specific Phantom 2 over 3 dozen times with out an issue…

I have followed DJI’s Phantom 2 User Manual closely which states,
“- DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a possibility for the existence of strong magnetic interference such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcement underground. 

- DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.”
 (page 23)

UPDATED EXPLANATION/ANSWER:

Before getting started a special thanks to crash1sttime for pointing me in the right direction.

If you are also experiencing the Yellow light indicator after completing the horizontal calibration and attempting vertical calibration there is an apparent solution available. Weather, location, and position of satellites from what I have gathered are the culprit. Today I finally moved to a much larger open area, weather was clear, and I had up to 8 satellites in my area. Thankfully the yellow light went away! I would recommend waiting at least 5 minutes before giving up, I live on a small island and my theory is my Phantom 2 was trying to get a fix on a satellite. This is a case closed for me and after weeks of struggle I can strongly say this was certainly the issue.

Check for satellites in your area here: http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com

Hmmmm... Not sure about the direct cause/effect here. However, it is a good idea to wait for the Phantom to get a home location before doing the calibration so if that's working for you, then keep at it.

VinnyThePilot said:
Hello everyone,

Since I first opened my Phantom 2 I have had Compass Calibration issues. After I initiate Compass Calibration mode I always complete the horizontal calibration successfully as noted by the LED flight indicators switch to solid green. However while holding the Phantom 2 vertically and rotating it 360 on its center axis the flight indicators do not disappear but instead turn a solid yellow. I find this odd, as I am not getting a flash between yellow and red indicating a failure. This leads me to believe there is another issue or the Compass Calibration mode is being successfully completed and the Yellow indicator may be something else?

Keep in mind I have flown this specific Phantom 2 over 3 dozen times with out an issue…

I have followed DJI’s Phantom 2 User Manual closely which states,
“- DO NOT calibrate your compass where there is a possibility for the existence of strong magnetic interference such as magnetite, parking structures, and steel reinforcement underground. 

- DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration such as keys or cellular phones.”
 (page 23)

UPDATED EXPLANATION/ANSWER:

Before getting started a special thanks to crash1sttime for pointing me in the right direction.

If you are also experiencing the Yellow light indicator after completing the horizontal calibration and attempting vertical calibration there is an apparent solution available. Weather, location, and position of satellites from what I have gathered are the culprit. Today I finally moved to a much larger open area, weather was clear, and I had up to 8 satellites in my area. Thankfully the yellow light went away! I would recommend waiting at least 5 minutes before giving up, I live on a small island and my theory is my Phantom 2 was trying to get a fix on a satellite. This is a case closed for me and after weeks of struggle I can strongly say this was certainly the issue.

Check for satellites in your area here: http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com

One I do not buy into that updated explanation. Recalibrate your RC controller first then do the same the phantom and make sure to do the advance IMU and ignore the warning message that the unit is to warm. Once that is done go out and calibrate the compass. Calibrating a compass completely (both horizontal and vertical) has no bearing on the number satellites locking onto your unit. There are plenty of articles calibrating a magnetic compass online.

I am not saying this will work for everyone. This is just a solution I had work for me, thought I would share the knowledge.

VinnyThePilot said:
I am not saying this will work for everyone. This is just a solution I had work for me, thought I would share the knowledge.

Point taken. But did you re-calibrate both units and try to calibrate your compass after words

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie