Compass Calibration failing

Reaction score
It has happened twice now I will power up the aircraft and rc, and app says everything is good to go. I will start the compass calibration, then as soon as i get done with the 2nd 360, back lights turn red and says it needs a firmware update. Knowing that this cannot be i will power down everything and restart it, and it goes back to normal showing the firmware is up to date. Start calibration process again and it works. I have only 4 flights on it and firmware is up to date so I'm not sure why it keeps doing this.

Are you calibrating outdoors away from any metal or electronic devices?

Are you storing the UAV in a case with the props on? Keeping it warm until flight or is it cold?

UAV is Stored in my closet at room temp with props off. I wait til "Aircraft warming up" has gone away. Then start my calibration.

about the end of my guesses, tried reinstalling DJI GO app?

Hum, Yep try the reinstall the app and or try on another mobile. Do you have more than one battery. Maybe the Phantom or the Go software thinks the battery needs the firmware. This a first that I have seen. Here is a interesting thought. Wait tell it is warmed up, power down and then power back on, then do the compass dance. If it works still don't know what is wrong. But you were going to fly anyway.

no i will try that though
My first question is why are you trying to recalibrate the compass?
You are much better off getting a good compass calibration and sticking with it rather than unnecessarily recalibrating every flight which brings the risk of getting a bad compass calibration because you've done it in an inappropriate site.

Read this thread to learn what compass calibration is all about and when it's necessary.
Understanding it will help you to fly safer.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

So many people do compass calibration wrong. Do not stand on a spot while holding arm out and turn around. Keep the phantom over a fixed spot on the ground while you walk around it. Hold phantom by the arm near props, don't hold it by the legs. Don't hold controller in other hand when doing it.

So many people do compass calibration wrong. Do not stand on a spot while holding arm out and turn around. Keep the phantom over a fixed spot on the ground while you walk around it. Hold phantom by the arm near props, don't hold it by the legs. Don't hold controller in other hand when doing it.
Actually it doesn't matter much.
There's no "right way".
As long as the Phantom is rotated 360°+ it doesn't matter much how it's done.

Actually it doesn't matter much.
There's no "right way".
As long as the Phantom is rotated 360°+ it doesn't matter much how it's done.
yes, I agree.

My first question is why are you trying to recalibrate the compass?
You are much better off getting a good compass calibration and sticking with it rather than unnecessarily recalibrating every flight which brings the risk of getting a bad compass calibration because you've done it in an inappropriate site.

Read this thread to learn what compass calibration is all about and when it's necessary.
Understanding it will help you to fly safer.
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum
He stated he has only flown it 4 times, and when he tries to do a compass calibration he is getting a alert of needs a "firmware update". I think that was his concern.

He stated he has only flown it 4 times, and when he tries to do a compass calibration he is getting a alert of needs a "firmware update". I think that was his concern.
Yes .. he says when he tries to do a compass calibration .... so I was letting him know that he doesn't need to keep calibrating the compass and is probably better off not doing it all the time.
Plus ... The Phantom never "needs" a firmware update.
The app will advise that a firmware update is available but you can happily fly without updating.

I calibrated the compass because the problem happened on first flight and i wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong and see if it does it again. not just try and forget it ever happened. gotta make sure its not doing it every time. Calibrated today and nothing screwed up, will keep monitoring it.

I'm having some issues with my calibration worked fine yesterday all systems go .do my dance and flashing red fast saying need to calibrating

I calibrated the compass because the problem happened on first flight and i wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong and see if it does it again. not just try and forget it ever happened. gotta make sure its not doing it every time. Calibrated today and nothing screwed up, will keep monitoring it.
Did you do anything different? Like reinstall the app?

This may be unusual, but I came from the mid US, all the way to southern texas, and my drone didn't require a compass calibration. I flew it for probably 3 months. Then I replaced the camera/gimbal, and it needed one. I don't know what the camera had to do with it, but I did it, it worked first time.

I started in California to Seattle to Dallas to Alabama to Atlanta to Tennessee to Chicago to Baltimore now 1st time issue I'm thinking doing the cold weather conditions could be my issue. ..I'm in the house and I'm not having the error message now just green 3reds

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj