Compass calibration distance

Reaction score
I live less than half a mile from my local high school and tonight is a big rival football game. I was asked to take pics of the field from the sky during the game. I'm planning on launching from the parking lot but didn't want to calibrate the compass in the parking lot since there will be a lot of cars people and interference. Can I calibrate the compass at my house drive to the school then launch from the school parking lot? Or is that too far? Should I just calibrate from the parking lot?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

As long as the compass has a good calibration it will be fine. The only time you need to re-calibrate is if the compass readings are not green or the app says to. I have only did mine once and since then I took it on vacation, 800 miles from Texas thru Utah and back and never had to calibrate thru 9 different states.

I live less than half a mile from my local high school and tonight is a big rival football game. I was asked to take pics of the field from the sky during the game. I'm planning on launching from the parking lot but didn't want to calibrate the compass in the parking lot since there will be a lot of cars people and interference. Can I calibrate the compass at my house drive to the school then launch from the school parking lot? Or is that too far? Should I just calibrate from the parking lot?
If your Phantom is flying straight, recalibrating the compass is unnecessary.
Just get one good calibration and stick with it.

To understand what compass calibration is and when it's necessary read this thread: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

If your Phantom is flying straight, recalibrating the compass is unnecessary.
Just get one good calibration and stick with it.

To understand what compass calibration is and when it's necessary read this thread: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer
Wow I've been calibrating the compass before every flight. So basically all I really need to do is check compass details before each flight to make sure they are green and that is all?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

DONT calibrate it
once set it should be good

Is there a negative to calibration before each flight?
It's completely unnecessary and introduces the risk of a bad calibration.
Lots of crash reports begin with ... I calibrated the compass as I always do ...
Here's an example of a calibrate-every-time guy getting a bad compass calibration.
He was lucky to get his Phantom back.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you everyone! And that was a terrifying video! I'm having nightmares tonight

It's completely unnecessary and introduces the risk of a bad calibration.
Lots of crash reports begin with ... I calibrated the compass as I always do ...
Here's an example of a calibrate-every-time guy getting a bad compass calibration.
He was lucky to get his Phantom back.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He also stated he "was in a hurry". As my grandpa used to say, "when you're in a hurry, don't be". Sage advice for Phantom flying.

He also stated he "was in a hurry". As my grandpa used to say, "when you're in a hurry, don't be". Sage advice for Phantom flying.
The thing was that if he was in a hurry, he could have just flown without calibrating the compass and been in the air a lot quicker.
A combination of being a slave to the calibrate-every-time philosophy, not being aware of the dangers of calibrating close to a lot of steel and failing to see the steel sheet pile all around when he calibrated almost lost his Phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers