Compass Calibration Clarification

Reaction score
Hello,
We had great early experiences with our P2V, but after six flights or so we are having a real problem with stability and control. We are concentrating our efforts on the compass calibration. After some conflicting info from the dealer, can someone please tell us what should the LED status be after the "Nose Down" step? We get a slow yellow flash indication. We have demagnetized the compass several times, and all the data on the Assistant is within spec, the the P2V has a mind of it's own when it flies, and is really unusable now. Thanks!

Sounds like maybe you've knocked the flight mode switch (top right on the controller) to "Attitude" mode (middle position) instead of "GPS" (top position). That would give a yellow light instead of green with the GPS indicator after the "compass dance", and flight would be less stabilized.

Thanks for the reply. We've been careful to make sure the switch is in the forward "GPS" mode.

We are looking for clarification about proper compass calibration. When we attempt calibration, we get a solid green LED indication for horizontal rotation, but a yellow flashing indication for the "nose down" rotation. We have never been able to get a green LED indication after the "nose down" rotation. Thanks

Okay I'm not really understanding it but have you done these steps,

Put the phantom down on ground and turn on your TX then plug in your battery and shut door, Now flip the right switch "GPS,ATTI" switch up and down rapidly until you see a solid yellow on the units LED? If so then you pick it up keeping it straight and level as possible and turn around until you get the solid green, Then do vertical with the battery compartment facing down as this is the noise! Turn around with it the same direction as you did in horizontal once you did that it should blink on what ever setting you left it on after doing the rapid switching, I leave it on the GPS setting. If there was some calibration error the it will blink constant red!!

Just tell me if you may have missed any of those steps or may have thought the noise was the LED end? If you did it the way I explained then sorry I have no clue to whats going on.

Thanks for your input. Just to be clear, we are using a Phantom 2 Vision. We are trying to find out exactly what color the LEDS should be after the "nose down" rotation. When we place the unit in calibration mode (gps/atti switch) we get a solid yellow. After horizontal calibration we get solid green, and after vertical calibration we get flashing yellow. The dealer has given us conflicting information as to what the colors should be. The unit displays characteristics of bad compass calibration (flying sideways, and moving in an ever-widening circle at high speed without input from the controller), and we are really looking for some solid info from the Phantom community. Thanks for your time!

fhsav said:
Thanks for your input. Just to be clear, we are using a Phantom 2 Vision. We are trying to find out exactly what color the LEDS should be after the "nose down" rotation. When we place the unit in calibration mode (gps/atti switch) we get a solid yellow. After horizontal calibration we get solid green, and after vertical calibration we get flashing yellow. The dealer has given us conflicting information as to what the colors should be. The unit displays characteristics of bad compass calibration (flying sideways, and moving in an ever-widening circle at high speed without input from the controller), and we are really looking for some solid info from the Phantom community. Thanks for your time!
I´m experiencing the same problem with my Phantom Vision 2. Several attempts to calibrate the compass. I achieved "MOD " around 1700/1800's, it was around 6500 !!! . Sometimes the compass fails and I get the flashing yellow. I think the problem is the area around. Try another site, clear of any possible magnetic interference. When I moved the Phantom away from a particular spot (not flying - with may own hands), I got the sattelites (green lights flashing) and the compass readouts were good, but suddenly it halted and the flashing yellow came on again. I have not put it on the air yet !!! :cry:

I suppose you had watched this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnpBzqdB5g and this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUhaVCah18

We've actually made some progress. After "nose down" calibration, the lights flash yellow, and then green AFTER GPS lock has been achieved. It is too cold to fly right now (5 F) but we are looking forward to more testing as soon as it warms up a bit. We are also gaining an appreciation for how sensitive the compass is to ferrous metals. We'll know more soon. Thanks!

Yep, looks like you've got it. If you are in the default VISION mode (i.e. you have NOT placed it into NAZA mode using the Assistant software) then after a successful horizontal rotation you go from yellow to solid green, then after a successful nose-down rotation you will get whatever indicator is normal for your flight mode. If you have no GPS lock then that will be yellow flash to warn you that you can only get atti mode. Once lock is acquired you should get the green indication.

If you are in an area with weak satellite reception then tilting the aircraft over is enough to lose lock temporarily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31