Compass and in u calibration out the box

Reaction score
Hi guys I am total newbie here, I have got my p3a today and have updated firm ware successfully but the app shows Imu error. In overall status it says Imu is normal and asks to calibrate compass. I have done the dance till my feet hurt but it still will not calibrate..,.. Any ideas? Sorry if this is s bit of a dumb question

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Doesn't sound like you did a IMU? Do one anyway.

Added:
Info on IMU
IMU Calibration

Thanks Rod, I haven't done Imu calibration, it says normal so will go and try and do one as per the off on the link you sent. Thanks

I have now done the Imu calibration successfully thank you. I have done the compass dance again and it says safe to fly. It does keep saying atti mode out loud, and when I select the menu it still has the box around "calibrate" on the compass rather than "normal" have I calibrated the compass successfully or not? Again sorry if I sound a donut......

The app will say that if you're near a source of magnetic interfere such as rebar hidden in concrete ... Where are you trying to fly? If this is you're 1st flight attempt, it should be in wide open field and not your back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all new, I am in my back yard but haven't fitted the props yet!! I was just trying to set everything up at home with an Internet connection at hand to keep checking things!! I will go out on the farm in the morning and do the dance again with the props on and see what happens. I do now have solid green lights rather than flashing.....

Hum, I have seen this before but might take awhile to find it.
No messages of magnetic interference.
Both S1 and S2 all the way up?
How many satellites does it see.
On the IMU display it will show compass readings, I will have to search on what is normal. Does it say compass calibration successful when you complete the dance?

Where is the green light?

Here is a good one and a link to another thread.
Meta4 always has excellent information.

Compass

Post# 25 is link to the other thread.
Compass

All I gave you are good bookmarks, I'm adding the compass one to my bookmarks now.

Many thanks for all the help, the green lights are on the arms, solid green not flashing after the dance. I didn't see compass successful but I was dancing round the garden away from the controller and iPhone!!! What concerned me was when I looked at the overall status tab "calibrate" was boxed not "normal"

Crap I can't remember, I thought when you ready to fly (done with compass cal), green lights are flashing.
Yes solid when the cal was successful, then it goes back to flashing green?

I think I need to calibrate out in a field as there was garden furniture around and fence posts with rebar in possibly upsetting things. I am paranoid about a crash because I haven't set it up right.......

Just to add before your first flight, to land I would recommend bring the Phantom down slowly with the left stick. When it touches ground hold that stick down Phantom motors will stop.

The method you use start it, I usually tip it over trying to stop it.

Both switches up S1 / S2

Set you RTH higher then any obstacles above you it is in meters, 61 meters = 200'
Set Failsafe to RTH or at least look at the fail safe settings.

Once the motors start you should get a Home Point Saved, and your RTH settings will be displayed. You have to have GPS lock for your home point to be saved.

Throttle up to about 10' 15' that way its above anybodies heads and let it hover.

This would be my procedures on any first flight.

If somebody doesn't like my post,

Let me have it.

Good Luck ;)

Rod

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Thank you. I will follow your instructions this morning

Thanks for all the advice Rod I went out in a field and calibrated the compass fine. Took of my belt and steel toe caps too to be sure!! Had a few low controlled flights, take offs and "catch" landings. A bit too breezy to land on my toolbox landing pad. Many thanks

Thanks, I am glad it went good, did the message on the compass go away?

Yes it said safe to fly gps mode. On the overall status tab "calibrate" was still boxed rather than "normal" being boxed. Is this usual? It held its position perfectly in a light breeze with odd gusts. The green lights were doing what they should too. Need to gradually build confidence now. Many thanks your advice is valued

I will fire mine up later today, lots of stuff to remember.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20