Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Damager

This is a Phantom 4 with about 20 flights on it.

Had a minor run in with a wall which broke a prop, and drone ended up upside down (fell about 2 feet). Now I'm getting "Compass Error" on startup, and when I go to sensors it tells me that "Compass 2 disconnected".

Is this something I can fix (reasonably handy) or do I need to send in to repair?

I'm tried recalibrating multiple times, but it looks like perhaps my 2nd compass cable is disconnected or the compass is broken - is this something I can check on my own or is it time for Service?

Thanks...

2. Sinisalo

There are 2 compasses for redundancy, I wonder if you can still fly with only one compass.

3. Sim597

They do I believe sell the landing gear and the compasses in the DJI site, maybe not but I think I saw P4 gear with compasses

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. Damager

Just looked - didn't see it - thanks for the info.

5. vdubbin

did you ever get this figured out? Have the same problem with mine but sending it off to DJI today actually

6. Damager

I was able to fly on just 1, but decided not to. Sent it in for repair. Turned out the 2nd compass connector on the mainboard had separated, so I needed to replace the mainboard (ouch) as well as the compass. Working fine now.

7. Stealthmatt

How much did it cost from DJI?

8. Damager

I used a certified 3rd party. Mainboard is expensive, as was labor. 2 x compass is only something like $20 for the parts. If your second compass is just disconnected from the mainboard, it's a relatively cheap fix (although I'm not willing to open the shell - many here do).

9. Jimmy1952

Not sure about the 2 P4 compass or both of them but have seen the P3 for around 6 bucks. I have a compass error on one compass and if I am able to get to it I'll open the landing gear and replace it assuming they are identical which I am assuming they are.

10. Damager

Yes - I believe the 2 compass parts were only $20 or so total. What was complex was that the compass replacement requires opening both the main body and the legs - I wasn't competent to do that on the first try.

11. Jimmy1952

I have already been there. Just replaced a shell , top and bottom. I and thinking and hoping I have one not plugged in well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

12. Jimmy1952

I found my compass problem . The small covers....4 of the at the top of the landing gear. At least one has a compass hidden behind it. zGot the small door /cover off and found my compass had came unplugged. May be worth looking at if a person has trouble getting a compass to work. Mine is working good now that it is plugged in .