Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Communication brainstorm in a dream

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by gfredrone, Feb 24, 2014.

1. gfredrone

How difficult or is it even possible to communicate with a drone (any drone) over the existing cellular infrastructure in ones country? Could near unlimited distance (one battery) and FPV be a possibility via tower hopping? Obviously the cellular provider would need to cooperate, but is it possible from the technical side of things.

I had a dream that my bird was connected to cell towers and I could fly anywhere in battery range.

2. Geoelectro

Dropped cell calls? Now dropped drones!?! :shock:

Can you hear me now?

Geo

3. OI Photography

4. themosttoys

Very possible (been done) and no cooperation from cellular provider required (at least: don't ask, don't tell). There's a demo somewhere on youtube (probably a couple years old now) of some cellular HW provider (people that provide the 3g/4g hardware) testing the range of a single mobile cell site by controlling a quad. I've done FVP and control essentially via a video call :). The thing is, why bother, all it does is limit where you can fly. Ex: in my case I used Sprint, out in the country or over the ocean (where I liked to fly long distance FPV) the 3g/4g connection was not as good as what I can do on my own. The problem was not losing the aircraft, it was just that the connection was not as good / manageable as other options.

I did one interesting thing before abandoning it (at least I thought it was interesting). I have property in the Florida Keys, I have HD surveillance cameras around the property (so I can look at the water when I'm feeling down or use it as live wallpaper / screensaver ;-) ) I thought, how cool would it be to fly around the property and over the water whenever I want. So I did it (basically, why not). Yes it was fun and a little novel, but ultimately pointless (requiring someone to be your ground crew.)

I guess I said all that to let you know that if you want to do it, live the dream, it can be done.

5. Pull_Up

That was great. You definitely have an appropriate username, too. ;)

6. gfredrone

Good info. Just goes to show nothing is new. Sooooo, how do we get satellite up/downlink access... That's where the real fun begins! :)