Common Wifi Channel Across Entire City?

Reaction score
I am an Xfinity wifi customer and I have noticed that Xfinity has built a universal wifi network (accessible to customers) by piggybacking off of the customers wifi. I am no expert but i would assume they divert some of the bandwidth to this network. The point is, there is a common wifi system throughout the entire metropolitan area. When I considered what would be required to fly for long distances or where signal would cut like behind a grove of trees or a large building, I figured some sort of buoyed wifi repeaters would be needed to create a large network...but if the network is already there there is no need for the repeater. No since we depend on having a wifi signal to communicate with our phantoms, i was curious what would be involved, if possible, in using this comprehensive wifi network to communicate with the phantom. This is a conceptual question at this point but I dont know where else to go with it.

Indeed xfinity started that last year & you'll find many "xfinity wi-fi" nodes in your travels. It uses a portion of your bandwidth to allow xfinity customers to log on. If you sign into one with your regular xfinity logon credentials, it will auto-connect with all others as you travel about. You can actually opt your router out if you so desire.

As to using the xfinity wi-fi as a massive "Phantom Control" network I'm not sure if it is possible? You would have to get both your mobile device & the Phantom aircraft connected. Although there are lots of xfinity nodes, they don't provide the same sort of directed signal as the Phantom's wi-fi extender, and there are certainly lots of dead spots.

The ultimate control setup would be something like the Flytrex Sky system, that utilizes a cellular connection for control & tracking. If they could add in the video feed your only limitation would be battery longevity!

I am an Xfinity wifi customer and I have noticed that Xfinity has built a universal wifi network (accessible to customers) by piggybacking off of the customers wifi. I am no expert but i would assume they divert some of the bandwidth to this network. The point is, there is a common wifi system throughout the entire metropolitan area. When I considered what would be required to fly for long distances or where signal would cut like behind a grove of trees or a large building, I figured some sort of buoyed wifi repeaters would be needed to create a large network...but if the network is already there there is no need for the repeater. No since we depend on having a wifi signal to communicate with our phantoms, i was curious what would be involved, if possible, in using this comprehensive wifi network to communicate with the phantom. This is a conceptual question at this point but I dont know where else to go with it.

Don't think you can use the Xfinity that way. You have to be bound to the birds wifi tx via the wifi extender to receive both tellimetry and video as there are two boards in the birds wifi tx unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers