Commerical Pilot actually defends drones

Finally someone with common sense. His views and thoughts need to be spread around.

There are probably more "Commercial Pilots" here on the forum than you realize... ;)

Finally someone with common sense. His views and thoughts need to be spread around.
Agreed. But all the good thoughts won't help so long as UAV flyers continue to do stupid s--t.:eek:

Agreed. But all the good thoughts won't help so long as UAV flyers continue to do stupid s--t.:eek:

The devil is in the details though... A drone into the windscreen or a leading edge may cause some minor or sustainable damage--I would be more concerned about the potentially catastrophic damage the *battery* would cause going into an engine inlet... Jet engines don't eat junk.

Buy you're correct--you can't legislate stupid. Somebody 's reckless flying near an airport will bring this to the forefront and cause knee-jerk regulations.

I didn't like one comment the CAA made in the article. "The threat to a helicopter is much greater". HOW? The rotor blades won't suffer much - they often get hit by 20mm cannon fire in war zones and in civil use they often clip trees and things. Yes there is a risk of a drone going into an air intake on a turbine copter but the chances are much less than on a jet. Less surface area and the downwash from the rotors will blow the drone all over the place!
Maybe the should start using centrifugal jet engines again. They are immune to bird or drone strikes. Martin Baker the ejector seat maker still uses Gloster Meteors for that very reason!!!

I didn't like one comment the CAA made in the article. "The threat to a helicopter is much greater". HOW? The rotor blades won't suffer much - they often get hit by 20mm cannon fire in war zones and in civil use they often clip trees and things. Yes there is a risk of a drone going into an air intake on a turbine copter but the chances are much less than on a jet. Less surface area and the downwash from the rotors will blow the drone all over the place!
Maybe the should start using centrifugal jet engines again. They are immune to bird or drone strikes. Martin Baker the ejector seat maker still uses Gloster Meteors for that very reason!!!
In GA helos, think Robinson 22/44. Those rotors would be worthless after hitting a drone and more than likely would lead to fatalities. Tail rotor included.

All the flying I've done I never saw a drone while in flight. I tell my buddies, it's not the drone I really fear. It's the lithium battery. That sticky puppy could make an aircraft pilot want to be on the ground safely asap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree with the tail rotor being a bit flimsy but the main is tougher than you think. I used to get free lessons in a Schweizer/Hughes 300 with a friend of mine. He lived on a farm with a tight landing area amongst trees. He told me in his early days he clipped several without too much damage. And they are oaks not conifers!
Not to be recommended however!
I DO worry about some small microlights - a P3 in the face would be bad. I was flying at about 150' well away from anywhere and 2 microlights came past lower than me. So much for a 400' limit in the UK.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31