commercial use

Reaction score
What do you need for commercial use of a drone? specifically taking pictures for real estate or just selling video and pictures. You need a 333 exemption and to register it? I've looked into it a bit but it's all very confusing. any help?

Thanks!

You need a 333 exemption and at least a sport or recreational pilot license. If you don't plan on getting the latter, then you should just wait until the FAA releases their new rules. They won't require a license to fly a manned aircraft.

For more information about the 333 exemption process, check out my FAA resources.

You need a 333 exemption and at least a sport or recreational pilot license. If you don't plan on getting the latter, then you should just wait until the FAA releases their new rules. They won't require a license to fly a manned aircraft.

For more information about the 333 exemption process, check out my FAA resources.
Do you mean unmanned aircraft? because that's ridiculous that I would have to have a pilots license to fly my toy around for money. when do you think these new rules will come? by the end of the year?

Do you mean unmanned aircraft? because that's ridiculous that I would have to have a pilots license to fly my toy around for money. when do you think these new rules will come? by the end of the year?
Yes, that's ridiculous - it's like requiring a medical degree to apply a bandaid, but that's the FAA way.
Possibly next year sometime ... but who knows?
The FAA has had 3 years to come up with rules and still can't do it.

No, I really mean you need a license to fly a manned aircraft right now.

The new rules were supposed to have been released already. And, the FAA is now deep into working on their new registration system, so I'm assuming the release of the new rules will be delayed every further. I think we'll be lucky if we see the new rules by the end of 2016.

Is anyone else of the opinion that when registration comes along, no matter how simple the process, the FAA is giving their blessing for you to fly? It is very close to receiving a “license”. Theoretically, we can be fined for flying without being registered, so how can we be prevented from reaping the rewards of our investment and labor? It’s not a safety issue. We can fly (within the guidelines) anytime and any place we choose, but when money changes hands, it all of a sudden becomes a problem? The only difference is the money. I think you may see more grey area commercial flying when this registration process commences

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Is anyone else of the opinion that when registration comes along, no matter how simple the process, the FAA is giving their blessing for you to fly? It is very close to receiving a “license”. Theoretically, we can be fined for flying without being registered, so how can we be prevented from reaping the rewards of our investment and labor? It’s not a safety issue. We can fly (within the guidelines) anytime and any place we choose, but when money changes hands, it all of a sudden becomes a problem? The only difference is the money. I think you may see more grey area commercial flying when this registration process commences

Happy Thanksgiving!

Various governmental agencies have dealt with this in the past - with fairly typical results.

As a boater, you can take out anything that you can pilot yourself without a Coast Guard license. The second you do something for 'consideration' then you are required to jump through a lot of hoops. The CG has had to walk a careful line when answering the question as to what exactly is 'consideration'. They have decided that bringing some food and drink aboard is OK, paying for gas gets really dicey, everything else is a no go.

I believe you will see the same logic used for UAVs. Anything remotely commercial gets the paperwork and the rules. Hobbyists will likely get away with having to prove they understand what a restricted area is and not much more.

Reactions: Roverggm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik