Commercial Use Complications

Reaction score
Right now you need a 333 exemption to fly your drone for commercial use.

So what happens when a commercial entity finds a free to use drone video on the Internet and uses it? Say the entity is a news agency or movie production company.

Who gets in trouble? The drone operator? The company? Both?

Is this even possible to enforce?

Do hobbyist need to place copyrights on all of their uploaded videos to prevent unauthorized commercial use?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wouldn't worry about it much, I have heard of cease and desist letters being sent out by the FAA but I have yet to hear of anyone being fined or otherwise punished by the FAA for this.

The drone operator was not flying for commercial use. It would be the news agency who then turns the flight into commercial use when the used the video.

Here in the UK i was reading some material produced by the CAA and it says if you captured your content recreationally but then later it gets used commercially they arent that interested. Basically, if you get paid or make any gain from making that flight on the day then you have to be commercial. Ill dig the exact statement if anyone wants it.

In my opinion, yes, if you are paid for the flight and any content produced then you need commercial permissions. However, If you are flying recreationally and get some great footage that at a later date someone wants to use commercially then I believe licensing or selling that footage is ok as the original flight was undertaken recreationally, bearing in mind you have adhered to the regulations set out by your authorities.
This is my interpretation based on UK material and may be different in your country.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic