Commercial Flying Without a 333

Oh and because model aircraft do not have the range and are not typically flown FPV but in VLOS. They are unable to enter controlled airspace. That's why. Any more questions, I love to educate.
Model aircraft have had the capability of entering controlled airspace for 60+ years. Again, if this about safety and not money why is the FAA so interested in money, but not safety in this matter?

Last edited:
What kind of low life would do that? Phone someone trying to weasel 333 info out of them and then report them. Pathetic. I bet that guy that does siding can fly rings around you.

Try spending more time cultivating your own business rather that deceptively working about what others do and you might actually make use of your 333.

Do you often put your own stupidity on public display in internet forums? Apparently you can't read either!

No one said ANYTHING about trying to "weasel" information out of anyone. I have a legitimate question for them. And no one said ANYTHING about "reporting" them to FAA either. I do NOT have a "siding company" nor do I have any sort of such business. Where could you possibly have gotten such an inference?

My question: How do they advertise commercial usage of a drone on public radio without drawing attention (and drawing ire...) from the FAA.

How the hekk did you read so much extra into my post? Have you seen them fly? Have you seen MY r/c toys flying? Maybe they CAN "fly rings around me"...maybe not. Maybe they can fly rings around YOU...where the hekk did THAT come from? [%/] troll.

Please put down the bong (or meth, or whatever you're obviously high on...) and back away slowly, and for GOSH sakes quit projecting your bull onto ME.

I'm just watching the outcome of the situation, openly advertising that they are apparently breaking the law, and that's ALL I put in the post.

...and for the safety of everyone involved, please don't try to fly your R/C toys in your current, self-medicated condition! Please seek professional help. You obviously need it!

Last edited:
"A local (house) siding and windows company in Tulsa is openly advertising on the local radio stations that customers can monitor the progress of their siding jobs by use of their "high-tech drones" video.
I called them with the pretext of asking about a siding estimate for my house and then went straight into questions about their 333 license. They said they didn't know what the hekk I was talking about and finally hung-up on me."​

Firstly where did I imply you had a siding company? You said they people you phoned had the siding company.

Secondly when I hear someone phones a company under the "PRETEXT" and then go straight into 333 questions I call that weaselling info out of someone. Thats the kind of person I assume will go to the FAA.

What did you hope to gain by getting that info?

How does it help you get clients or better your work?

I shouldn't have assumed the siding company can fly better than you, but from what I've seen most that are licensed are only "qualified" on paper. Their demos on their websites are often very average.

I've spent 23 years in video production only to see some clowns buy a shortcut with licences and immediately call themselves "cinematographers". Ok thats a different rant.

Have fun with your phone calls. I'm sure that will help your business.....

Real Estate agents and others have been made aware of the laws. While looking for business I have been asked, up front, "do you have a 333 Exemption"? Because they now know they are putting themselves out there for legal action. This will eventually become common knowledge. I have been asked for it more than once. So all of you trying to skirt the law with all your own rationalizations are only setting yourselves up for failure.

Question for Simon... Were you a cinematographer your first year or only after 23? When did YOU start calling YOURSELF a cinematographer? License is a shortcut? Look you either make a product that sells or you don't. Your just upset because it may be easier now than when you started and it sounds like you do not have a pilots certificate, so you call that a shortcut. Go get one and tell me how short it was. Flying a drone is one thing. Being onboard the aircraft your flying is another. You might as well get ready because potential customers are going to start asking if you have an exemption. And that's ok.

Question for Simon... Were you a cinematographer your first year or only after 23? When did YOU start calling YOURSELF a cinematographer? License is a shortcut? Look you either make a product that sells or you don't. Your just upset because it may be easier now than when you started and it sounds like you do not have a pilots certificate, so you call that a shortcut. Go get one and tell me how short it was. Flying a drone is one thing. Being onboard the aircraft your flying is another. You might as well get ready because potential customers are going to start asking if you have an exemption. And that's ok.

I still don't call myself a cinematographer. And I definitely don't have a pilots certificate nor do I intend to get one.

It is 100% a shortcut to jump through some hoops and then wave a piece of paper about and circumvent the professionals out there. The fact that you even call yourselves "pilots" when you don't leave the ground is hilarious. There are real pilots out there that must laugh when they read about UAV operators that call themselves pilots just because they reached the base requirements for a 333.

My question: How do they advertise commercial usage of a drone on public radio without drawing attention (and drawing ire...) from the FAA

Because most people won't think twice about it, and/or don't know the new rules.

Second, the absurdity that an agency that manages the safety of $150 million passenger aircraft now regulating 0.55 pound flying cameras wouldn't even be on the lay persons radar.

I have a FAA Private Pilot Certificate with an Instrument Rating for ASEL who flys real aircraft as well. Why do you think I have the perspective that I do. Yes. I am a Real Pilot as you would put it. Most manned aircraft pilots like myself feel the same way. So I don't know what else to tell you. You don't sound very encouraging for anyone new or wanting to get into your profession. I am learning more everyday. The information is everywhere and I practice routinely. Thankful you don't have a monopoly on "how too". Plenty are eager to teach and not defend. Oh and some more education for you. It's the FAA that's calls UAS operators "pilots " and rightfully so. We welcome the UAS Airman Certificate and UAS pilots to the ranks.

If you are not going to sell P3P derived footage, there is nothing to worry about. Take all the footage you want.

As far as the 333 goes, at this time you need a pilot's license before you can get it. If you don't have a pilot's license, and you don't hire a pilot to be on hand when you operate the drone, then forget about the 333.

I'm banking on the FAA creating a new rule for drone operators to sell their footage, and so I am building up a library of files for use later.
[Breaking News] FAA Opens Online Commercial sUAS Registration
by Alan Perlman on March 31, 2016
It’s been a big week for the commercial sUAS industry here in the United States.

On Tuesday, the FAA doubled the “blanket” COA altitude from 200 feet to 400 feet, and just this morning, they’re now bringing the commercial aircraft registration process online.

Why is this a big deal?

Because up until today, sUAS pilots would use the FAA’s legacy Form 8050-1 registration process out of Oklahoma City, OK. They’d have to fill out a paper form, mail it in, and wait a few weeks to hear back.

That paper process still exists, but only if you’re required to do so under the following guidelines:

• Your Aircraft weighs more than 55 lbs
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States
  • Your aircraft is owned by a trustee
  • The aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
  • You are required by a Section 333 Exemption or a certificate of waiver or authorization
Meaning, for the vast majority of commercial sUAS pilots going through or planning to go through the Section 333 Exemption process, it’s now MUCH easier to register your aircraft.

Wahoo!

faa-commerial-drone-registration.png

Note: Those owners who already have registered in the legacy system do not have to re-register in the new system.

This is a huge step forward for the sUAS industry. Congratulations to the FAA for continuing to improve the regulatory environment. I look forward to more updates over the next few months.

I went ahead and included the full press release below, which you can also read here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic