Commercial drones in the

Reaction score
Just a quick question for members who are operating commercially, is there still plenty of work as more and more companies starting up ?

Also what are the main markets to target, is it still the property market or is there much interest in the surveying side of things from customers.

Looking forward to the replies from all of you.

Regards

Jim

You can get a good idea of what people are planning do to by reading through the list of approved 333 exemptions.

I use it as an add on service to real estate photography. I've used it a couple times already for some listings. :) Real estate photography is a side job for me. It funds my other hobby..... Flying GA. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
At DroneBase, we find that there is a huge opportunity both in the US and internationally. Check out the FAA's proposed Part 107. This will help open the door for wider commercial use.

I live in Michigan and have approached a few realtors I personally know and they are all saying that I need a commercial license for them to use me. Kinda sad that I was looking to make a little money on the side and will have to jump through all these hoops and that still won't allow me to do it due to not being a licensed pilot. Kinda silly! Also I was reading somewhere online that the commercial license won't go into effect until 2017?

You can get a good idea of what people are planning do to by reading through the list of approved 333 exemptions.
Interesting read. I scanned quite a few and a good number of them feature the Phantom 3 Pro. Must mean something ! :) But things will be different for me somewhat since I'm in Canada. Just booked myself on an approved 32h training course of aeronautical/communications regs. Checked for insurance. Would be doing photo/video for many of the suggested uses in these exemptions. My problem might be that part of my hometown is within the 5 aero miles of an airport. I don't see the problem if I ris 75 feet for a house picture... but rules...

Reactions: Nick DroneBase
Interesting read. I scanned quite a few and a good number of them feature the Phantom 3 Pro. Must mean something ! :) But things will be different for me somewhat since I'm in Canada. Just booked myself on an approved 32h training course of aeronautical/communications regs. Checked for insurance. Would be doing photo/video for many of the suggested uses in these exemptions. My problem might be that part of my hometown is within the 5 aero miles of an airport. I don't see the problem if I ris 75 feet for a house picture... but rules...

Ya, I would make sure that you follow all of your local + national regulations. Regarding the airport, you'll just need to find customers not within now no-fly-zones.

I just finished my ground school course that provides a certificate of completion for Transport Canada; and I have $1M liability insurance set up as of January 1, 2016 through these guys Shaw Sabey Offers Fully Integrated Products & Services so far I'm getting some great feedback for aerial videography work in the new year, mostly from local realtors and developers. The big thing is that we have to submit (initially) for an SFOC from Transport Canada for each project at least 20 days in advance; after x amount of projects with no issues we then may or may not qualify for a standing SFOC.

I just finished my ground school course that provides a certificate of completion for Transport Canada; and I have $1M liability insurance set up as of January 1, 2016 through these guys Shaw Sabey Offers Fully Integrated Products & Services so far I'm getting some great feedback for aerial videography work in the new year, mostly from local realtors and developers. The big thing is that we have to submit (initially) for an SFOC from Transport Canada for each project at least 20 days in advance; after x amount of projects with no issues we then may or may not qualify for a standing SFOC.
So you don't plan on using the "exemption" for very small UAV of less than 2kg ? I guess you can't if doing realtor/developer work since you'd be inside a "built area" ("zone bâtie" in french). But for work outside of that zone, I guess you could, no ?

how old do you have to be to get a 333? and how old for a pilots license that you have to have to get it? is there any way to fly for money without a pilots license?

how old do you have to be to get a 333? and how old for a pilots license that you have to have to get it? is there any way to fly for money without a pilots license?
You need a license to get a 333, and in the USA the age requirement is 17 for a PPL.

Not at this time, if you are making money with it, that is commercial use and all the fun FAA regs apply to you.

That's my understanding of it anyways.

Where did you finish your ground course? Do you mind if I ask how much per yr is your insurance?

Eddie

The US "should" do something similar. What a huge hindrance on so many people and so many business entities that could VERY safely use this technology to further their interests...whacked with insurmountable hurdles.

Think outside the box. There are going to be a lot more uses than photography. More and more sensors will be available to add as payloads opening up new industries for UAS. Infrared, moisture, LIDAR, etc are all coming down in price and weight and are being attached to UAS now.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31