Come on in....its a free for all!

gunslinger said:
This forum is a great pizza. Just pick off the anchovies, toss 'em in the trash and enjoy the meal...

-slinger

brilliant...

gunslinger said:
I don't know. Maybe it's me. As far as the situation in this forum is concerned...

This is free! On the house! No cover charge any time!

In my opinion trashing this forum is akin to complaining about a free three course meal because you found a hair in the caviar. I've gotten an incredible amount of much needed information from this forum and I've tried to give back whenever I could. Trolls? I've had Adam knock out three or four of them in the past few weeks. (Granted... two or three were probably the same twit) If a dipshit bothers you, report him to the moderator, put him on your Foe list and carry on.

I guess this situation is at least marginally covered by a couple of hackneyed old axioms...

1) Lead, follow, or get the fu** out of the way
2) Be part of the solution, not part of the problem

Noobs can be irritating at times, but you have to look back for a second to when YOU were a noob. You didn't spring out of your mommy with all the knowledge on this subject that you now possess. Did you learn all of it the hard way? Did people who've already stubbed their toes and picked up pieces of broken quads teach you which path to take, or not take? A combination of the two?

Forums of this type are formed to allow like minded people share information. There will never, ever, ever be an "effective" SIG (special interest group) forum where all parties are expert in the field. The experienced people here should be here to help out the less experienced and also to gain information that THEY don't have.

We have people here who make their living as photographers. We have some incredibly talented RC pilots. We have some excellent propeller heads (geeks) who thoroughly understand the electronic elements. You might be an expert RC pilot and still be a total photography noob, and vice versa.

This forum is a great pizza. Just pick off the anchovies, toss 'em in the trash and enjoy the meal...

-slinger

well said and thank you.

I wake up this morning to find out that I caused this cry baby post by asking a battery question last night that the person who started this topic did not like. I was even nice enough to apologize that I could not find the answer I needed before starting my little topic. I got multiple pm's saying how childish the reaction was, then I see this. Too funny. I've got things to do as I have a life and don't have time to sit here and b**** about what other people ask help for on a hobby forum.

First things first. This forum does not have the tools for newbies to find information and/or past posts, I will give you an example, I was looking for information about the Phantom v1.1.1 and the search box did not return any results because "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words"

Yes, granted there is and advance search option, but that is even more painful than asking the same question again, in fact I just tried the same search in "Advance Search" and it turned the same response back to my query "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words". So I respectfully disagree with the original poster.

Also, Imagine how boring this will get in a year or 2 when every question asked already has and answer somewhere in the middle of this vast pool of topics, then all posts will probably only be trivial and not really intended to help others (which in my understanding is the main goal of this?)

just my $0.02

amrflyingdude said:
First things first. This forum does not have the tools for newbies to find information and/or past posts, I will give you an example, I was looking for information about the Phantom v1.1.1 and the search box did not return any results because "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words"

Yes, granted there is and advance search option, but that is even more painful than asking the same question again, in fact I just tried the same search in "Advance Search" and it turned the same response back to my query "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words". So I respectfully disagree with the original poster.

Also, Imagine how boring this will get in a year or 2 when every question asked already has and answer somewhere in the middle of this vast pool of topics, then all posts will probably only be trivial and not really intended to help others (which in my understanding is the main goal of this?)

just my $0.02

Try the search in my sig..

That's another good point, this isn't a wiki - it's "DJI Phantom Forums and Help". It probably ought to do what it says on the tin...

"forum": [a] medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
"help": [to] make it easier or possible for (someone) to do something by offering them one's services or resources.

I know what the original poster is talking about.

A moderator would have moved this "...its a free for all!" discussion from the "Vision" section to the "General" section.

I've done a word search and only find the word "Vision" in some signatures. On the third page of this discussion and no question yet about a Phantom Vision. Gets confusing for us newbies.

Don't flatter yourself there Jax.
Your post alone did not, could not illicit my crybaby-ness.

But your thread was an interesting study.

You ask what you should do and at the same time, you answer it yourself.
And then you get back on and add a post stating that you did just that.
All of this without anybody giving you any direction.
It was more like you were starting a log of your activities.

I will now crawl in the corner and continue my crybaby-ing. @Jax
This whole thing is just killing me. :cry:
Not sure what I going to do about it all.

Come on man. Some of you are taking my posts a bit too seriously. You act as if I really care about the health of this forum personally.

Not at all.

Its just that everyday I get on here to see if anything new is happening and I just see so MANY new(old) topics and most are just repeated crap or somebody literally talking like a child. These Phantoms being RTF has just attracted so many different types of people.

These hobbies used to attract some of the more intelligent, informative, creative types. But now there are too many RTF personalities. People used to have to think. Now they feel you should think for them.

And some of you continue to look past what I have been saying. @Pull_Up

You seem like an Ok guy so don't take this to heart but you are one of the worse as far as feeding the newbys lack of respect and courtesy on here. Instead of directing them you feed them. You are just as responsible for trashing this place as anyone.
You are very helpful but you are also the enabler.

As far as Mods in here.
If you in any way think that I have even the slightest interest in doing something like that, you are So wrong.
I am self employed and am quite content with not taking anything else on.
I can assure you I have no interest in adding babysitter/child care into my spare time. So let go of that idea. Besides, the population here would be reduced dramatically.

Leo...

I tried that search, put in anchovies... and... voila :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice

Jax Quad said:
I wake up this morning to find out that I caused this cry baby post by asking a battery question last night that the person who started this topic did not like. I was even nice enough to apologize that I could not find the answer I needed before starting my little topic. I got multiple pm's saying how childish the reaction was, then I see this. Too funny. I've got things to do as I have a life and don't have time to sit here and b**** about what other people ask help for on a hobby forum.

I clicked on 'new posts' last night and could only find posting Nazis complaining. The response to your message by the OP caused me to put him on my foe list. Tyranny by the minority isn't limited to trolls - posting Nazis are at least as big a threat to a Board's future. I suggest just putting those who want to ***** all the time on the FOE list and enjoy the rest.

Oh... and to get at least a little bit away from doing what I'm saying the OP is doing, I tried that search link by Leos, too. Works great.

LeoS said:
gunslinger said:
Leo...

I tried that search, put in anchovies... and... voila :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice

What??

OH, your pizza post! :D You're making me hungry, dude...

How'd you set up that search ? We should make it a Stickey:

-slinger

Firstly, I'd like to apologize to anyone who took offense yesterday when I posted a new thread about my P2V experiences and first over-water flight. I'm sorry.

As someone who spent a lot of time on (and moderating) photography forums in the past, here's what I can share. I'm not a RC expert, nor am I a propellor geek. I'm a professional photographer who has discovered this wonderful new platform for my work.

1) Partitioning of information can be good, to a point. You want to make sub-forums, etc. to make finding posts easier. However, too many sub-forums makes information too diffuse to find, or be seen. Right now, we have a single "Vision" forum. That means anything to do with the P2V is going to be posted there unless we are directed otherwise. Moreover, the Search feature here is IMO inadequate. When I got started here and wanted to learn about how to update firmware with a Mac, the search engine was especially useless. That leads to redundant posts.

2) It doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are or think you are. People like to be treated with respect. The entire point of online forums is for sharing of ideas, information, and I think most importantly, inspiration. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions, but nobody likes a kill-joy. There's a reason for the old saying, "if you don't have something nice to say..."

3) I participated in an online photography community for many years, and I saw plenty of posts that were "newbie," or "redundant." We can choose to address these posts in a positive manner, and then put them into an appropriate sub-category (of which there currently are none), or we can lambast those members with snarky rhetoric thereby insuring that this place becomes a small fiefdom for the self-appointed "Phantom Lords."

There will always be newbies. There will always be questions people ask a million times without searching. The question is how this community wants to handle them. Online communities can be gated communities for the privileged few, or places where all types come together to share their joy for this product.

Just my two cents.

-Jason

drjay32 said:
Firstly, I'd like to apologize to anyone who took offense yesterday when I posted a new thread about my P2V experiences and first over-water flight. I'm sorry.

As someone who spent a lot of time on (and moderating) photography forums in the past, here's what I can share. I'm not a RC expert, nor am I a propellor geek. I'm a professional photographer who has discovered this wonderful new platform for my work.

1) Partitioning of information can be good, to a point. You want to make sub-forums, etc. to make finding posts easier. However, too many sub-forums makes information too diffuse to find, or be seen. Right now, we have a single "Vision" forum. That means anything to do with the P2V is going to be posted there unless we are directed otherwise. Moreover, the Search feature here is IMO inadequate. When I got started here and wanted to learn about how to update firmware with a Mac, the search engine was especially useless. That leads to redundant posts.

2) It doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are or think you are. People like to be treated with respect. The entire point of online forums is for sharing of ideas, information, and I think most importantly, inspiration. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions, but nobody likes a kill-joy. There's a reason for the old saying, "if you don't have something nice to say..."

3) I participated in an online photography community for many years, and I saw plenty of posts that were "newbie," or "redundant." We can choose to address these posts in a positive manner, and then put them into an appropriate sub-category (of which there currently are none), or we can lambast those members with snarky rhetoric thereby insuring that this place becomes a small fiefdom for the self-appointed "Phantom Lords."

There will always be newbies. There will always be questions people ask a million times without searching. The question is how this community wants to handle them. Online communities can be gated communities for the privileged few, or places where all types come together to share their joy for this product.

Just my two cents.

-Jason

+1

I ran an electronic BBS for over a decade that had many "forums" within. I was also a SIGOP for two very large BBS sytems in the Providence RI area and I've had a couple of forums in the past decade or so having to do with one of my cars and my handguns. I totally agree with Jason. It's a hard balance to maintain and you'll always have one conflict or another going on.

IMHO I think this sort of forum is here MORE for the noobs than it is for the anointed...

-slinger

drjay32 said:
-Jason

I don't think you have anything to apologise for.

I also think Pull_Up does a stirling job of helping new people and should continue to do so.

Everyone should just use the new search link that Leos placed at the bottom of his signature and now copied on mine and you can easily find what your looking for in the forum. If you find a post with a similar subject then add to that. If not then start a new thread.

@drJay

"If you don't have anything nice to say......."

That is such an overused phrase that sounds good but makes no sense whatsoever and it breeds a country of insulated wimps.

Of course I don't advocate verbal abuse, name calling and the like but constructive criticism and healthy dialogue without forever mincing words is very healthy. Our country is NOT healthy any more. It has become a nanny state joke. Nowadays ALL criticism is bad and frowned upon.

Yes lets all continue on this path of being so false faced and sugar coat everything so as not to upset the thin skin masses.
In my lifetime alone I have seen a major shift to catering, hand holding, nobody can do wrong, etc. A total **** pile of a nanny state. You can live in it but I will fight it until the end.

I will now step down and continue with the regularly scheduled program.

Shrimpfarmer said:
drjay32 said:
-Jason

I don't think you have anything to apologise for.

I also think Pull_Up does a stirling job of helping new people and should continue to do so.

Everyone should just use the new search link that Leos placed at the bottom of his signature and now copied on mine and you can easily find what your looking for in the forum. If you find a post with a similar subject then add to that. If not then start a new thread.

Absofreakinlutely +1

Nvr2fst said:

Incoming!

Nvr2fst said:
You seem like an Ok guy

Aw, shucks... :oops:

Nvr2fst said:
so don't take this to heart

Aw, sh** :shock:

Nvr2fst said:
but you are one of the worse as far as feeding the newbys lack of respect and courtesy on here. Instead of directing them you feed them. You are just as responsible for trashing this place as anyone.
You are very helpful but you are also the enabler.

Maybe that's because, until a couple of months ago, I was a newbie too. This purchase was (is!) a Big Deal for me, not a financial drop in the ocean, and a machine I intended to (and still do) take seriously, in all respects. I read everything I could find on specs, performance, pitfalls, the lot. I had the luxury of time to do it, and having been online since before anyone had invented "www" I also had the luxury of being very familiar with search, with forums, with wikis, and all that jazz that most of today's 10 year olds can do on their tablets over breakfast. Some people refuse to try - they are usually the people with 1 or 2 posts who come straight in with "how do I" or "tell me where to find". Most people fall into the don't know how, or have tried and failed camp. They come with a description of their problem and how they've tried to fix it. I think the latter quite often deserve more than just a "read the FAQ, it's over there" response. Especially those whose first language is not English.

I get your gripe, I really do. I'm not just saying it. I know what you're after - you'd like a repository for all the basic information, locked down, curated and managed. You want all new members pointed at that place and any questions raised elsewhere that are covered in there to be either quickly deleted or quickly moved back into that new section. Effectively what you want is a kindergarten over there that you don't want to have to see/hear/touch and then over here you'd like a decent bar, where the old hands can reminisce over a good drink and swap modding ideas, tales from the soldering iron, chew the fat about airspace restrictions and advanced aerobatics and welcome those who have graduated from the kindergarten and earned their stripes with some experience and something to contribute.

Until someone is prepared to do all that curating, pointing, deleting, etc, etc it ain't going to happen. Not even you want to do it - that's understandable it would take a lot of time and effort. It would also create a wiki, not a forum. You'd still end up with people asking "dumb" questions in the "wrong" place because... well, because they are people. Why don't you suggest a new sub-forum for non-newbies (serious idea, here) - then those who want to talk about/learn about the stuff beyond Phantom Vision 101 will have a place free from the clutter without having to keep everything shipshape?

If I ran this forum (and I don't, and don't want to, nor to moderate it - we're both in agreement there!) then I would prefer that most genuine new posters received a friendly bit of help, preferably with some references to other material (the manual, the DJI wiki, another thread, whatever) rather than being ignored, or belittled, 'cos they didn't read the **** manual, or the FAQ, or the wiki, or use Google, or the forum search - if you let it get to you, it's very annoying, yes. But then again you and I both have 20-20 hindsight and know our way around a bit, so it's a piece of cake to us, and we've been learning English since the day we were born.

So, if I'm responsible for "trashing" the place, I'm sorry. I haven't been contacted by the forum owner to say that I'm doing so, and no one else has suggested it either publicly or via PM. I think in our aircraft we have an amazing bit of kit that can do really cool things, and those of us fortunate enough to have gotten our heads around it, fixed it up a bit, and cracked a few tricky problems with it are more than happy to share that and get more people up and getting this buzz safely and legally. If the general consensus starts to show that I and those who are similar need to rethink what we are doing, then I will happily defer to that and modify my posting accordingly. If the consensus goes the other way, will you do likewise?

Actually it was a rhetorical question because, of course, in the absence of guidance or rules from our benign dictator Adam you can think, say and do what you like - and rightly so. But so can I, and that means if I want to indulge in a little hand-holding then I will - and if you want to indulge in a little venting, then you will. And actually, the fact that we are debating about it in a civilised manner is testament to the quality of human being in this forum - I think we should all be congratulated. ;)

Pull_Up... You always crack me up. Your humor is so... so... British, actually... :D

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.