Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Combining two phantom power microphone capsules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abcdefg, Oct 13, 2016.

1. abcdefg

I just bought a two channel wireless system for my accordion. It is two separate battery powered transmitters transmitting to a single dual channel receiver. It's good that I can have one microphone for the left hand (basses) and one for the right hand (piano keyboard). I'm using condenser microphone capsules that came with a different device but it seems to work and the transmitters appear to be giving out phantom power (although a little low at only 4v measured by multi meter).

My problem is that the spread of the microphone for the right hand is not enough. To avoid feedback I need it close to the keyboard but when I do that it only picks up the five or six notes closest to it. I want to combine (cheaply!) another microphone capsule into the transmitter for the right hand so I can have two pointed at different parts of the keyboard. I don't want to buy a third transmitter.

I understand from reading online that this is a bad idea? People have asked this question and been told that one microphone will drive the other, etc etc, but would it really be that bad? Admittedly the quality of the six notes that ARE being picked up currently seems to be very good! However, I would give up some quality if it allowed the rest of the notes to be heard too! Any thoughts?

2. With The Birds

Combining by simply pairing the mic cable wires at the input of a wireless transmitter will be less than optimum. You can get cheap mic combiners that will allow you to adjust the mic gains independently while providing an output at the correct impedance and level to drive the input of the wireless transmitter. Just google "microphone combiner" or similar.

Btw- accordions are cool but have you ever considered flying remote controlled quad copters?

3. rcheing

LOLOLOL