Colour correction in FCPX with Vision+ footage

Reaction score
I just came back from a wonderful trip to the Guilin and Yangshuo regions in China. The topography there is unique and quite stunning. The weather however is another story and the footage I shot with the Vision+ was actually quite brutal in terms of colors and clarity. A constant haze made everything look like crap even though the region is spectacular. I fiddled around with color correction in Final Cut Pro X and realized I need to start doing this for every video moving forward. The result is actually quite surprising and lowering the exposure a bit essentially took out the haze all together.

The link to the video is below. I posted this previously on the video page, but this time I'd like to get your thoughts on two things:

1) Did I overdo the colour correction or does it still look fairly natural (I watched the footage on a HDTV and it comes out very differently than on mobile devices)

2) Do you have any tips on how to apply colour correction in post. This is the first time I do it so feedback is appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/107995891

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHFWjN-DnM[/youtube]

Let me know fellow Phantom Pilots

I usually don't respond to these kind of threads Because I feel like I can be too hard on someones work that may not be open to it.

Right away I thought it looked like video I had shot earlier in the summer that I unknowingly had set my settings wrong. 1080I was in my 1st thought. It also looked like you played around with the frame rate in different parts. I noticed a guy on the top of a bridge appear as though he was running, when he really wasn't.

I'm not going to say anymore, other then you do have some nice talent with the way you put everything together. The camera settings robbed you. Was this in 1080p, or ?

flyNfrank said:
I usually don't respond to these kind of threads Because I feel like I can be too hard on someones work that may not be open to it.

Right away I thought it looked like video I had shot earlier in the summer that I unknowingly had set my settings wrong. 1080I was in my 1st thought. It also looked like you played around with the frame rate in different parts. I noticed a guy on the top of a bridge appear as though he was running, when he really wasn't.

I'm not going to say anymore, other then you do have some nice talent with the way you put everything together. The camera settings robbed you. Was this in 1080p, or ?
Hi there, thanks for your feedback. Everything was shot in 1080p. I did speed up a few shots you are right but most are at e original frame rate.

Don't worry, I'm open to constructive criticism. I want to improve so welcome feedback.

Cheers.

Phenomenal video, amazed that's the vision+ and not a gopro. What's the difference between the two videos in your post?

jwegener said:
Phenomenal video, amazed that's the vision+ and not a gopro. What's the difference between the two videos in your post?
Hi and thanks for your feedback. No difference in the videos, but in some places YouTube is blocked so figured I would put 2 links to the video just in case. Cheers.

Embraer said:
Stunning landscapes, no issues with the authorities then?
None whatsoever. Actually, I saw quite a few police officers as we were visiting during the Chinese holidays so security was reinforced quite a bit. Not one single person came to me to raise any concerns. I did get police officers come to ask to move the car that was parked in the wrong place, but when they saw what I was doing, they actually came to look at the iPhone screen and were quite captivated by the whole thing.

I wasn't flying like an idiot over hundreds of people either so I guess that helps. In the end, this is still a fairly new concept and most people are intrigued. That may change in a few years, but for the time being, have fun.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers