Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Color my belly....

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Ted, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted

There are so may people here personalizing their birds with a skin on the top. I can respect that. This is not my style though. I am looking for anyone who has put some color on the belly so they can see it better in the sky? If so, how did you do it? I was considering taking off the VPS and hitting it with a cote of good spray paint. Thoughts?

2. AerialPhotos

I agree with Ted, I would like colors on the belly and legs for better visibility. Can this be done by hydro dipping?

3. Ted

Ted

Only problem with doing the dip is disassembling everything. I was hoping to just take off the VPS and doing some taping. I was hoping someone has painted.

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you are willing to take the time to remove everything from the shell you could dye it. I dyes the tops of both my controller & bird. I was not up to stripping the lowers. :D
    Use 'poly dye', not regular dye. Do it outside or in an open garage as it smells bad. There are many, many threads here on how to do it.

5. mirrorimage

Wonder if we could put a mirror on it with a light or even my laser pointer. Hmm.

6. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If you are willing to take the time to remove everything from the shell you could dye it. I dyes the tops of both my controller & bird. I was not up to stripping the lowers. :D
    Use 'poly dye', not regular dye. Do it outside or in an open garage as it smells bad. There are many, many threads here on how to do it.

7. acherman

Full disassembly and sprayed black. Top and bottom. Much more visible in a bright sky and against clouds. Not so much against a tree covered hill.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443411532.358028.jpg

8. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Looks nice! :)
    Tell people it's the same stuff they coat the stealth bomber with so it can't be tracked on radar. :D

acherman likes this.
  9. FunN4lo

That looks way better than a white Phantom. Have you had any heat issues with all that black?

10. acherman

No heat issues at all. That said, I live in Canada, so heat is never an issue, other than not enough of it. Haha Those props move so much air that I doubt it would be an issue anywhere. Unless it spent a lot of time sitting without the props spinning.

11. nickyb

Personally, when I get my bird I will keep it as is. Why? so its less prominent in the sky for the stupid idiots who think MI6/CIA are watching them, maybe I'll borrow so stealth paint from the airforce (anti radar of course).

12. nickyb

Does this affect the GPS/IMU signals at all?

13. N017RW

No GPS issues so long as there's no metal in the paint or film.

The IMU does not use radio waves. It senses motion or physical movement thus the name- Inertial Measurement Unit.

IMU - DJI Wiki