Color correcting tutorial using subscriber submissions

Reaction score
Something fun. On my next Phantom color correction and grading tutroial I'm choosing at least 3 shots submitted by subscribers. Thought it would be fun to do a step by step color correction tutorial using subscribers footage. Eveyone chosen will get full credits in the video tutorial. See video for explanation and details. No money is be made in any way...directly or indirectly. This is meant to be for fun while I save up for another P3P after crashing mine. ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Booda
Ok..... hopefully submission opportunities dont close in the next 10 hours before i can get to my machine and upload.

I have a pre sunrise coastline take i just cant get to look right, i havent given up but it is becoming incredibly frustrating.

Is it ok to upload a single corrected frame so you have a feel for what i have in mind?

I have a strange workflow where i process frame grabs in photoshop first and have reference prints while i am trying to grade in premiere.

This photo came out not so good. Clear stock lens cover. Looks overexposed to me. It was taken late in the day with clouds rolling in. Second photo from same time & location but different view (away from setting sunlight).

Attachments

• 1454453720408.jpg
    1454453720408.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 1454453896419.jpg
    1454453896419.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 499
Ok..... hopefully submission opportunities dont close in the next 10 hours before i can get to my machine and upload.

I have a pre sunrise coastline take i just cant get to look right, i havent given up but it is becoming incredibly frustrating.

Is it ok to upload a single corrected frame so you have a feel for what i have in mind?

I have a strange workflow where i process frame grabs in photoshop first and have reference prints while i am trying to grade in premiere.
No worries...I'm still taking submissions. But will only for the next 24 hours as I'm getting quite a few responses and should have plenty to go through! (Again please see video for explanation of how to export and get the clips to me. 1 to 4 clips can be submitted but I'm respectfully asking for no more than that. Each at a length of 20-30 seconds.) To your question: Beginning with a still image corrected as you like it is good place to start for sure. But it's a little different with video since the image often moves, changes and shifts. The grade has to work for the shot as a whole from beginning to end vs 1 single still image like a photo. I've found that a certain "look" my not be possible given a certain shots exposure and settings. So...my plan is to correct each clip according to the clips strengths and/or weaknesses. So the goal is take what I have and create something not just color corrected...but cinematic. Hope this makes sense and yes please do submit!

This photo came out not so good. Clear stock lens cover. Looks overexposed to me. It was taken late in the day with clouds rolling in. Second photo from same time & location but different view (away from setting sunlight).
Yes, good eye and I would say it's over exposed. The darker and the lighter shot both have blown out skies. I'd keep a close eye on the exposure meter. Make sure it stays as close to "0" center as possible. That should fix the issues!

The first of two color correction and grading tutorials utilizing subscriber submitted footage. Hope this can help some folks out with their post color work.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: vcinfio and 2nd2non

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic