Color Correcting and Grading your P3 Footage V2

As usual, great tutorial. Much better than ones I've seen and learned from on YouTube.
I use to adjust my composite RGB curves the same way, but read it should be more like an 'S' versus 'Z'. Then adjust individual colors like 'Z'. Any perspective? My log shots tend to be flatter than your examples using same camera settings. As such 'S' adjustments to highs and lows seems less extreme than 'Z', although not all the time.... I guess I answered my own question...it depends...[emoji37]

Btw- hope DJI takes care of you with your P3 replacement

I like the grad application technique, however I find using the overlay mode makes the lower part of the frame brighter? - (unless I missed something!)
If you use darken mode it seems to only act on the brighter area (sky mostly)
You can also make an ND grad for bright cloud layer days to bring back some definition without making it blue.
The Gaussian Blur effect looks pretty good, it's very like making an Orton Effect in stills.
I do find it seems to greatly increase the rendering time when you add these adjustment layers though.

Amazing Tutorial - Thank you so much for sharing this!
I'm primarily an amateur still photographer, and grok a lot of what you are describing when i translate it into photoshop or on1 processes ... do you have or know of a good getting started with Premier ...

thanks again - and my fingers are crossed that DJI gets you back in the air

I like the grad application technique, however I find using the overlay mode makes the lower part of the frame brighter? - (unless I missed something!)
If you use darken mode it seems to only act on the brighter area (sky mostly)
You can also make an ND grad for bright cloud layer days to bring back some definition without making it blue.
The Gaussian Blur effect looks pretty good, it's very like making an Orton Effect in stills.
I do find it seems to greatly increase the rendering time when you add these adjustment layers though.
Hmmmm. Make sure you have the graduated layer set to "overlay" under "opacity". It shouldn't be making the bottom brighter.

Reactions: kSilva
As usual, great tutorial. Much better than ones I've seen and learned from on YouTube.
I use to adjust my composite RGB curves the same way, but read it should be more like an 'S' versus 'Z'. Then adjust individual colors like 'Z'. Any perspective? My log shots tend to be flatter than your examples using same camera settings. As such 'S' adjustments to highs and lows seems less extreme than 'Z', although not all the time.... I guess I answered my own question...it depends...[emoji37]

Btw- hope DJI takes care of you with your P3 replacement
That was funny.:DI was thinking, "I think he's answering his own question".... and then I read you last bit, "I guess I answered my own question...it depends.." Made me laugh. Thanks for your kind words.

Last edited:
Frederick... awesome tutorial, as always. I'm sad to read about your P3 in the other post. It seems like it's a total compass error and I hope DJI takes care of you. Keep up the good work in the mean time! We all benefit from it.

Fantastic tutorial. I love the sky overlay and I'm not very good with Photoshop. Is there any chance you could post a link to download the one you've created?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic tutorial. I love the sky overlay and I'm not very good with Photoshop. Is there any chance you could post a link to download the one you've created?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a big file for uploading. But it's easy to create....
• In Photoshop select create new document
• Set the file background as "transparent" and size it 3840 x 2160 pixels at 72dpi
• Create a "blue" color
• Use the graduated paint tool and drag from the top to the middle of the canvas to create the graduation.
• Save as a .psd so the image doesn't flatten and the transparency stays in tact.

You're done. Place the newly created file in Premiere Pro, Final Cut or DaVinci and you're all set.

Frederick... awesome tutorial, as always. I'm sad to read about your P3 in the other post. It seems like it's a total compass error and I hope DJI takes care of you. Keep up the good work in the mean time! We all benefit from it.
Thanks for your kind words. I have more footage than I know what to do with. lol.

I love your videos. Tell me do you film in 24fps? Is there any advantage to filming in 30fps and changing to 24 in post?
Thanks for the comment. Yes I film just about everything at 24fps. The only advantage to shooting at 30fps and editing in 24fps is if you reinterpret the 30p footage to 24 within Premiere Pro. That'll give you a slight slo-mo effect. I do this when filming in the 1080 60fps mode. 60fps reinterpreted to 23.97 (or 24fps) will give you beautiful slow motion.

It's a big file for uploading. But it's easy to create....
• In Photoshop select create new document
• Set the file background as "transparent" and size it 3840 x 2160 pixels at 72dpi
• Create a "blue" color
• Use the graduated paint tool and drag from the top to the middle of the canvas to create the graduation.
• Save as a .psd so the image doesn't flatten and the transparency stays in tact.

You're done. Place the newly created file in Premiere Pro, Final Cut or DaVinci and you're all set.
Thanks, Ill give it a go

Great video!

I have one frustration though. I have a pc and I cannot seem to bring up the yc waveform no matter how many time I watch the video.

I have the latest version of premiere.

Any way that you can point me in the right direction?

Do you mean you don't get the window at all?
In my version 6.0 you open reference monitor from one of the tabs probably tools at the top of screen.
Then you can select a whole range of options for it to display.

There should be a wrench at the bottom, or a drop down top right.
I hadn't used that before but was using the reference monitor for adjusting exposure and contrast.

Reactions: fhagan02
I can't seem to bring up the window at all. I don't know where/how to find it.

I've opened the reference monitor, tapped the wrench, and this is what I got (see attached picture)

Attachments

• 1441703011240.jpg
    1441703011240.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 372
Sorted this, I was using an existing PS grad which was blue to white rather than blue to transparent - from the simple selection.
I made a new one based on the NDs which fade from black to nothing. (using blue to nothing)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic