color all wrong after downscale. pls advise a newbie

Reaction score
i shoot everything in 4k with d-log for color grading later.
now, my 6yr old pc cant do 4k edits in adobe premiere cs6. so i use MeGUI and all the default settings to downscale to 1080p in order to edit in premiere.

this is the finished product:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
no fancy LUTs were used, i just did brightness/contrast/saturation. the colors look really bad as you can see. any advice with shooting 4k footages then downscale later? upgrading PC is not an option atm. thanks!

I have the same issue. I shoot in 4K and export to 1080p using iMovie 9 on a 7 year old iMac with El Capitan 10.11.4. I realize this version of iMovie is not compatible with 4K clips but I have been able to make movies with no issue. It takes longer with 4K but doable.

As for your movie, shots pointing down don't look bad. It's the shots pointing towards the sun and horizon that gets washed out due to too much light.. Consider using ND filters on your camera if not already doing so. Also shots over the water (like mine) are pixelated. However I can't really tell over land. This is probably due to down conversion from 4K to 1080p. Not sure if it's the software or the desktop (I'm not an expert on this subject). You'll see what I mean in my movie below. It's not the final product because I'm just testing to see the quality. Btw, I'm using ND16 because it was very bright that day.

Sorry I don't have any advice as I am seeking if there is something better I can do also.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
oh yeah, i use the ND filter from TACO. the sun was rising so it was difficult to get the EV near 0 for all the areas.
looking at the 4k footages now, no pixelation occurred so now im convinced the MeGUI downscaler messed things up a lot! :(
thanks for checking out my vid

i shoot everything in 4k with d-log for color grading later.
now, my 6yr old pc cant do 4k edits in adobe premiere cs6. so i use MeGUI and all the default settings to downscale to 1080p in order to edit in premiere.

this is the finished product:
no fancy LUTs were used, i just did brightness/contrast/saturation. the colors look really bad as you can see. any advice with shooting 4k footages then downscale later? upgrading PC is not an option atm. thanks!

To be honest I didn't see that much of problem with the color. Exposure was a little low in the shaded areas and of over exposed in direct sun light.

Personally I prefer to do all my editing in After Effects then compile video files in Premiere for export. Reason for using After Effects is there are far more controls then in Premiere and there are some controls in Premiere that are not in AE.

jason, what kind of things do you use AE for? all this time, i thought AE is for special effects.

update: looks like cs6 can handle 4k files. so i will use proxy files to edit. then swap with 4k files when rendering for the final result.

Last edited:
jason, what kind of things do you use AE for? all this time, i thought AE is for special effects.

update: looks like cs6 can handle 4k files. so i will use proxy files to edit. then swap with 4k files when rendering for the final result.

I use AE to cut my in/out points, white balance, exposure and a whole lot more as that program gives you more control in adjustments that Premiere does not. Some times there is a need to make adjustments in Premiere before you export. I also use the CS6 Mater Collection as I do not need Adobe's Creative Cloud for the type of work I do. If I were in business that would another story because there have been a number of advancements since the first cloud came out.

So if you have AE look into Blur/Sharpness & Color Correction have to offer. Yes there are a lot of basic special effects an also a lot of third party programs available. If you need help with special effects there are a lot of videos on you tube for almost all subjects.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers