Collision Avoidance

Someone will definitely be testing that (just like they test dropping an iPhone or destroy something).
Considering the Typhoon H will only have collision avoidance up to 12mph I'll be waiting to see what the tolerances are.

This feature really has me curious how well it works.

If it's anything like the visual positioning system, probably works ok but with many limitations.
If it detects an object, it's probably going up around it, without any detection above. Hopefully nothing is above it if this happens....

I almost think this might cause more crashes because people will rely on it too much.

Has anyone noticed the Phantom 4's visual positioning system now seems to have two cameras? Looks like this may work a bit better on the Phantom 4.

I'm hoping to see a video where someone flys full speed into a wall to see how it handles 45mph then in to a climb to avoid the head on collision

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Would not want to be the one risking 1400 bucks on a test.

Did I not see some mention that the obstacle avoidance feature does not work in sport mode?

Breaking News! The Phantom 4 can collide with a Weiner and come out unscathed! Honestly, I can't believe someone made this video. :)

The collision avoidance only works in some modes and presumably only at some speeds (possibly only the automatic modes) which may cause confusion if someone buys it and thinks the advertised collision avoidance system will save him if he flies it towards something.
In the automatic RTH or "fly with tap" if it senses an object it flies over, the test will be if flying in normal mode if it will stop and hover before hitting an object and at what speed it is not active.
They mention it working in the other modes but I imagine orbit won't work so well.

I'm hoping to see a video where someone flys full speed into a wall to see how it handles 45mph then in to a climb to avoid the head on collision

I think no collision avoidance if you ascent into a ceiling since the sensors/ cameras are front and down only. also you have to be flying forward for collision avoidance to work , Any way I returned my Phantom 3 prof yesterday and I paid for the P4 today and I hope that I would not be the guy who will inform you that collision avoidance failed.

I AM SOLD ON THE P4 NOW!!!
I can give it to my wife to help with kitchen work. Salad will be done a lot sooner with four blades, one for lettuce, one for onions, one for carrots, one for cheese.

I am curious to see if it can detect power lines --- those are the things that scare me the most since I can easily see cell towers and trees when I fly FPV but those **** power lines are nearly invisible but still deadly.

Also, really wanna see if it can avoid obstacles while reverse too. As the sensors are only at the front

Of course it cannot avoid that ! It needs to be only for front and down since we all drive looking at the camera.

2 things they should have:

1.) RTH should be done with Phantom rotating to the Homepoint and then driving home so those sensors work, I am sure that they have done it like that.

2.) HOMELOCK should also work that way, when you switch to it to come back from any location to home, the Phantom should rotate so it points Home and then travel.

And thats it.

Btw. it should have sides covered with sensors for all those videos that we are making from the side like recording bike/car movement from the side which is the way it is recorded in 90% of the cases and then it can hit in anything.

¡ ʎlɟ I ʎɐʍ ǝɥʇ dlǝɥ ʎllɐǝɹ llᴉʍ ǝɔuɐpᴉoʌɐ uoᴉsᴉlloɔ ǝɥ┴

I just have visions of it detecting a tree branch then rising up and getting caught in another branch above it or to the side

Nothing can replace good Situation Awareness of your flying environment. Not depending on Obstacle Avoidance at all. Yes, it is a great tool, but like any tool, it has limitations. Stay away from trees and any kind of power line just like you normally would regardless of what your flying. Yet, we will all see posts in the near future about P4 pilots crashing into something and then looking to blame DJI or others. Some may be valid if to many pilots are all experiencing the same thing and end up crashing. Just use your head and common sense and remember that nothing man can build is Fool Proof.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20