Colin Guinn

And I bet will all go running out to buy what ever his selling ...
So show me an honest sales man please ;)

I am grateful for the videos the Colin Guinn had presented to explain and demonstrate various Phantom products. I have learned a lot. He has excellent delivery skills. It's clear that he's ambitious and smart.

Contrast that with some of the Youtube videos by some others that do little more than regurgitate what Mr. Guinn has already presented--usually at a much poorer quality at that.

Garysam said:
Guinn, actually has 48% interest in DJI North America

http://www.uavhive.com/wp-content/uploa ... nction.pdf

Interesting read for those that are curious

Certainly is, and easy to tell who hasn't read it ....... And DJI China tried to force him into exchanging that 48% interest for the equivalent of the proceeds from the vending machine in the break room. When he balked they did a basic bottom-feeder takeover.

Even with the Left Coast repair facility now in full swing, repair orders must be paid to DJI China, and DJI China must receive verification of receipt of funds directly to their China account, before DJI NA can release your item back to you.

DJI tech support in North America, according to one of their US forum support employees, started with a group of 4 employees with cell phones. By their own admission, some had not even seen the product they were supporting. The support apparently originated from a "Quick Find" system of known issue lookup and specific response. Their response was limited to what DJI China wanted it to be. They were over worked, under staffed, little to no resources to work from, and perfectly content to provide an unrelated answer to your question. They have since expanded their operation, and have added additional CS Reps. The Reps are pleasant and some show a genuine concern, as genuine as possible for an employee with their hands tied behind their backs. The response is often RMA; even for out of warranty items with known defects from known design weakness. The alternative is reading the manual outlining proper operation to a customer who is reporting abnormal operation. Total one-dimensional thinking; which is in direct opposition to the concept of trouble shooting. Call me old fashioned, but my concept of tech support is finding answers to problems when things don't go as planned; not placing responsibility on the end user for the fork in desired outcome. Tech Support should have intimate knowledge of what happens and in what sequence a working unit operates. From that understanding, they should be able to isoate the last known proper response and determine the point of breakdown. That is where the solution originates. However, if the employer has no intentions of making the info to base this understanding available to them, they will, in large fashion, tend be former telemarketers with good phone-side manner. If one or two do develop trouble shooting skills through intuition and understanding, chances are they will leave the herd in favor of greener pastures. This is not a working strategy. It seems to be a common strategy, but not a working strategy. It is a liability shifting operation.

The DJI NA Customer Support under Colin didn't seem to be much better, but we now have a window into how and why that may have been. I guess he got tired of paying to keep customers happy out of his own pocket, and trying to explain away problems that the mother ship had no intentions of addressing.

It is a systemic demonstration of cultural differences. The only saving grace is there is originality at the base of this Asian company, where the norm seems to make a copy and use the sales information of the original.

DJI did the equivalent economic knockoff by annexing the success of the US arm as well as the resources, as it was the easy way to additional wealth. It seems to be a cultural thing, nothing more - and nothing different is to be expected. Maximize profit and minimize liability.

If the NA arm of DJI becomes competent and profitable, it s just a matter of time before that asset is annexed in the same way Colin's was. Again, a predictable, systemic and cultural reaction. In the absence of regulation, the US business model is surprisingly similar.

Hmmm... what a lovely resumé.

No mention of him defaulting on his tax payments to the IRS, or his previous company 'AirCam Co LLC' being closed down by forfeiture back in Feb last year.

I wonder if Avean Media will go the same way? It appears Avean was formed in January last year. Actually 9th January, which only by pure coincidence I'm sure :lol: was exactly 30 days before the IRS pulled the plug on AirCam !!

Clearly the recruiting team at 3D Robotics are not the sharpest tools in the box! (In my opinion of couse :roll: )

hotstink626 said:

Im sure I saw him working at my local fried chicken joint.

thongbong said:
hotstink626 said:

Im sure I saw him working at my local fried chicken joint.

Did he have a fried chicken shirt on and a white goatee :ugeek: ?

Zeeener said:

Good for him. Somehow, I don't thnk they will suffer from adding him to the payroll.

When you see the shift from GoPro Cameras to modified Knect sensors and digital data transceivers, think about where the thought hit the mainstream. It is doubtful that he will ever be credited with doing it first, but more likely will be the one who made the process a mainstream possibility.

It will be interesting to see if the industry shifts from hobbyists competition to see who can exceed the 400' ceiling the most while not flying LOS to close-in precision flying to achieve 3-D scans for future cad cap applications.

Flying survey and digital 3-d imaging - who would have thunk it.....

reading everything in this post shows something that no one has really hit on (well, one person mentioned it somewhat).

There are always 2 sides to every story and you NEVER know what contract he signed.
Corporations, whether they be American or overseas are no better than fast talking politicians. They will exploit loop holes in contracts, deem one thing means something else and do whatever it takes to keep money from going out.

In this particular case, Colin supposedly got an injunction to stop dealers from carrying DJI parts (guess that was lifted since the time?), but I wouldnt blame him for doing so. If the corporation used *us* (their customers) as hostages to somehow stop him from collecting what he feels he is owed, then I dont blame him for doing what he is doing.

Failed reality tv show star or failed businessman has nothing to do with what he did for DJI NA.
He was good at marketing and gave you faith in a product you knew nothing about. If someone straight from China was advertising this, who the hell would really own a Phantom right now?

Can you really put a price on that type of marketing popularity?
In the end, it's always about money. Not that the reason is a bad reason.

Flying Cephlopod said:
I am grateful for the videos the Colin Guinn had presented to explain and demonstrate various Phantom products. I have learned a lot. He has excellent delivery skills. It's clear that he's ambitious and smart.

Contrast that with some of the Youtube videos by some others that do little more than regurgitate what Mr. Guinn has already presented--usually at a much poorer quality at that.

I agree with you completely. I too learned a lot from Colin's high-quality, informative, engaging videos and was disappointed when many of them were removed after he left DJI.

Looks like he is also behind the new 3D Robotics Vimeo Channel that was created 2 months ago, Its also on the URL 'https://vimeo.com/3draustin'.

Colin Guinn, Taxes seems to be an issue here, I would caution I don't imagine anyone has any personal information of how and why the reasons for this delinquent taxes 1. Could be he did not have the money, 2. There there was a conscious decision not to pay for whatever reason we don't know, perhaps upcoming court battles who knows, it's really moot point anyway. Hopefully more cogent thought could be practice here.

Perhaps the enthusiasm and zeal demonstrated for Guinn to pay taxes could be directed toward our congressmen and senators who haven't paid taxes in years I understand there's quite a large number with this particular scenario ..... Gawd lmao.

For those that haven't check it out. Some insight.
http://www.uavhive.com/wp-content/uploa ... nction.pdf

Dalite said:
Garysam said:
DJI tech support in North America, according to one of their US forum support employees, started with a group of 4 employees with cell phones. By their own admission, some had not even seen the product they were supporting. The support apparently originated from a "Quick Find" system of known issue lookup and specific response. Their response was limited to what DJI China wanted it to be. They were over worked, under staffed, little to no resources to work from, and perfectly content to provide an unrelated answer to your question. They have since expanded their operation, and have added additional CS Reps. The Reps are pleasant and some show a genuine concern, as genuine as possible for an employee with their hands tied behind their backs. The response is often RMA; even for out of warranty items with known defects from known design weakness. The alternative is reading the manual outlining proper operation to a customer who is reporting abnormal operation. Total one-dimensional thinking; which is in direct opposition to the concept of trouble shooting. Call me old fashioned, but my concept of tech support is finding answers to problems when things don't go as planned; not placing responsibility on the end user for the fork in desired outcome. Tech Support should have intimate knowledge of what happens and in what sequence a working unit operates. From that understanding, they should be able to isoate the last known proper response and determine the point of breakdown. That is where the solution originates. However, if the employer has no intentions of making the info to base this understanding available to them, they will, in large fashion, tend be former telemarketers with good phone-side manner. If one or two do develop trouble shooting skills through intuition and understanding, chances are they will leave the herd in favor of greener pastures. This is not a working strategy. It seems to be a common strategy, but not a working strategy. It is a liability shifting operation.

Dalite: You provide a wealth of opinion, information, and insight. Thank you for that!! Very nice effort and very well done with the result being some excellent reading. Again, thank you for that! Very much appreciated.

Monte55 said:
If it had not been for his videos and what I thought was good support on a product, I most likely would have not bought my Phantom

Yes!! I absolutely agree with you on this. I know it is the Colin videos that got me interested and then hooked. I remain quite hooked. And though so many seem to have so much bad to say about DJI, I remain a loyal member of the DJI family, now with three of their quadcopters, unaware of any other vendor who comes close to providing this type of product for the consumer at this price. The Phantom's are extremely unique, and capable, products that, given this technology, are bound to have issues. But I love reading often on this forum as I constantly attempt to separate good factual insight from drama and inexperience.

Why did the Colin Guinn tutorial videos disappear from Youtube?

Where else can these videos be found?

There was an alternate site that had linked to the videos, but those videos now indicate "private".

Autodesk is gobbling everyone up at the moment.

I wonder if they're making a play for 3D Robotics because of the potential for 3D scanning.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl