Colin Guinn is mentioned in this article...

While I love my phantom. I will say that I can totally understand why people want to put rules on them. I live in an area where houses are right on top of each other and since it is Florida, everyone has a pool. I can't not see a pool when I'm flying. Have I seen anything that would be rated R when reviewing my footage. Maybe. When my wife lays out in the backyard topless, she assumes that the fence keeps prying eyes away. She doesn't think someone could be watching from above. When you get the phantom high enough, you cant hear it over the normal sound of lawn mowers and pool pumps. The GoPro doesn't have the zoom needed to get the really good stuff. Get a big octocopter with a nice zoom camera and you have a perv machine hoovering at 300 feet. Another thing you have in Florida are high rise condos. Most have super thick hurricane impact windows that keep sound out. When you are 40 stories up and no one else can see in, you might not close the binds. They don't think a copter with a gopro could be hoovering outside their window. I wouldn't want to be able to not fly my phantom but if someone told me that certain places were off limits, I could totally understand. Technology is increasing faster than law makers can keep up. Not all laws are meant to spoil fun. Some are actually meant to protect us.

Ksc said:
While I love my phantom. I will say that I can totally understand why people want to put rules on them. I live in an area where houses are right on top of each other and since it is Florida, everyone has a pool. I can't not see a pool when I'm flying. Have I seen anything that would be rated R when reviewing my footage. Maybe. When my wife lays out in the backyard topless, she assumes that the fence keeps prying eyes away. She doesn't think someone could be watching from above. When you get the phantom high enough, you cant hear it over the normal sound of lawn mowers and pool pumps. The GoPro doesn't have the zoom needed to get the really good stuff. Get a big octocopter with a nice zoom camera and you have a perv machine hoovering at 300 feet. Another thing you have in Florida are high rise condos. Most have super thick hurricane impact windows that keep sound out. When you are 40 stories up and no one else can see in, you might not close the binds. They don't think a copter with a gopro could be hoovering outside their window. I wouldn't want to be able to not fly my phantom but if someone told me that certain places were off limits, I could totally understand. Technology is increasing faster than law makers can keep up. Not all laws are meant to spoil fun. Some are actually meant to protect us.

You just added another reason to my list of why I want to live in Florida :lol:

"but if someone told me that certain places were off limits"

In FL, besides the usual military bases (Canaveral Space Center, etc.) there are a few regulations. Nowhere within 3 miles within 1 hour either side of game time (or something like that) during NFL, Nascar, or baseball stadiums having 40K or more capacity and not within 3NM of Disney World theme park when below 3K AGL.

Given the questionable reliability of the hobby multicopters, I think the Australian rules that prohibit flight over "populous areas" and within 30m of people are pretty sensible. That also solves a LOT of your privacy problems.

It's all about "expectation of privacy". I would expect that in my backyard, but not at the beach or in front of my house.

The Wiki is worth a read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectation_of_privacy

I sell surveillance for a living. People as me everyday if it's legal to have hidden or covert cameras. It varies from state to state, but the expectation of privacy does not.

I personally hope the buzz dies off about the quads or multi-rotor.. (refusing to call it a drone)

So with that said, in most situations all you have to do is post a sign or sticker in the window that removes the expectation of privacy. I wonder if a sticker on my DRONE is enough??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl