Cold Weather Prop Question

Fly Dawg

"Electricity is really just organized lightning"
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Being that I live in the southern US, snow is not an every year occurrence and I rarely fly in the winter anyway, but am making an exception for this event. I know the issues with cold batteries, but my question is this. When I install the props ( Flying a P3A BTW), is there an occurrence of " Temperature Expansion" with the prop hubs?
Primarily, I mean would it be wise to wait and allow the aircraft and props to come to outdoor flight temperature before installing? I ask, because generally speaking I always firmly tighten the props before every flight and by going from roughly 70 degrees F, to 30 Degrees F could there possibly be enough temperature differential issue
that would cause the prop hubs to constrict even tighter? Possibly cracking the hub? The same would apply in the summer, say going from roughly 70 Degrees F, to 95 Degrees F. I have never seen an issue with the latter, but wanted to ask since I have never flown in below freezing weather. Thanks in advance. Also, I don't plan on flying until after the snowfall ends.

Phantom 2's (the first with self tightening props) have been flying for 3 years now with no reported thermally related prop issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4