Cold weather flying

Reactions: Santiego
Doesn't DJI state zero celsius as the low on the P4 Pro? Prob be the same on reg P4 as well right?

Yup, that's the published specs.

As msinger pointed out, the battery is the 'weak link' in cold temps.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Zero Celsius is DJI's recommendation. It's possible to fly in colder temperatures if you take the necessary precautions.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
The coldest temperature I've flown at so far this winter is -4C. It's been unusually warm here, so I haven't seen colder temps yet. I have a 3D Robotics Hexacopter Drone that I've flown in temperatures as low as -20C

This link is my reply to a similar question on winter flying --> Flying in winter

That time of year again when temps fall in anticipation of winter snows.

Up until now I have always used auto-takeoff but lately have been having some problems because of the cold (and its not even very cold yet). Sometimes my P3S just ignores the auto takeoff command in Litchi, so I guess I need to start the motors with a CSC command (like stated in one of the links posted by msinger above) and let them run a bit to warm the AC up before taking off. Don’t intend on doing a CSC on landing as I will hand catch, but all the tip overs with the CSC have got me worried. Is there anything I need to watch out for? Already have a battery warmer so I have my batteries covered.

Tried the CSC with props off and the motors started fine. Used left stick down to turn off.

Chris

Can you explain you're worry about CSC?

You should never do a CSC to turn motors off after landing. Like you said, use left stick down and wait three seconds for motors to shut down.

When powering up motors with CSC you can't be in wind, the REV REV startup routine may tip the craft due to wind lifting the windward side. Seek a wind break to take off, such as a wall, car or a building.

If wind isn't avoidable, and no wind breaks are near, hand launching is advised. In that case you will need an RC harness to help hold the RC, in order to enable the auto launch slider in GO4 with only one hand, while holding the craft above your head with the other hand.

Can you explain you're worry about CSC?

You should never do a CSC to turn motors off after landing. Like you said, use left stick down and wait three seconds for motors to shut down.

When powering up motors with CSC you can't be in wind, the REV REV startup routine may tip the craft due to wind lifting the windward side. Seek a wind break to take off, such as a wall, car or a building.

If wind isn't avoidable, and no wind breaks are near, hand launching is advised. In that case you will need an RC harness to help hold the RC, in order to enable the auto launch slider in GO4 with only one hand, while holding the craft above your head with the other hand.
Thanks for your reply John. My worry with the CSC basically stems from all the threads about using a CSC to shut down motors resulting in tip overs. I use left stick down so that shouldn’t be a problem. On CSC motor start-up, I’m assuming the motors just start to idle so I could run the motors to warm up then launch in a minute or so. With auto launch the motors start and immediately the AC goes to a hover. Since this does not work on cold days, I’ll need to warm them up at idle speed first. Didn’t realize that the motors would need warming up too! I just figured I’d only need to take care of the battery. Even with auto launch I usually try to be in a sheltered area or wait until wind gusts subside but on a cold day I won’t have this luxury as much.

Thanks for your reply John. My worry with the CSC basically stems from all the threads about using a CSC to shut down motors resulting in tip overs. I use left stick down so that shouldn’t be a problem. On CSC motor start-up, I’m assuming the motors just start to idle so I could run the motors to warm up then launch in a minute or so. With auto launch the motors start and immediately the AC goes to a hover. Since this does not work on cold days, I’ll need to warm them up at idle speed first. Didn’t realize that the motors would need warming up too! I just figured I’d only need to take care of the battery. Even with auto launch I usually try to be in a sheltered area or wait until wind gusts subside but on a cold day I won’t have this luxury as much.
That's correct, never use CSC to shut down the motors. Doing that slightly wrong will tip the craft. CSCs to disarm motors should only be done in emergency situations when flying. Such as when you have crashed into a tree and the motors are spinning away. In that situation a CSC disarm is appropriate, as that method will disarm the motors faster than left stick down.

Likewise, when you arm the motors they will REV REV. I hate that. In a mild wind the REV REV can be just enough to catch a gust and tip the craft, and sometimes even flip the craft upside down. I've actually seen that happen, simply from arming the motors! I got so annoyed with that design flaw that I've adjusted the firmware parameters to turn off the REV REV, and the motors idle at half normal RPM. If DJI would offer that option in the Go4 app, most pilots would use it.

With clip-on props for the P4P, I see no reason to REV REV. Even if a prop wasn't clipped in correctly, it would pop off the second you try to take off, no different than the REV REV test for prop install integrity.

Last edited:
I think the auto launch uses the REV REV too. Always wondered what that was. Is there a good reason why it does that?

Hi Magnus I fly down to about -20C any colder than that I'm not having any fun not feeling my fingers as it's hard to fly with thick gloves. The P4 can fly better than the pilot at -20c. Here is a few thing I do for cold weather, Make sure your batteries and tablet are fully charged and over 20C. If you do take it out in the cold don't just sit there and hover, take off a start moving, when I cruise at 50kph as this is my usual speed my batteries run around 44C and I get the same flight times. When coming in with your craft from the cold, turn the bird off and leave the battery in, place the bird in a plastic bag and tie it up outside, when you will hit the humid air inside your house the outside of the bag will condensate a lot and not your craft (very very little), after about a hour I take it out of the bag remove the battery and let it air out and make sure it is warm and dry before placing in it's case with silica gel packs. I have forced air heating in my home and I place the craft on a stand a couple of feet away from the grill for one hour. Same goes for swapping batteries in the cold, keep your fresh batteries close to your body for heat and do it outside, do not go inside the house from the cold to swap your battery as your craft will condensate. Also when swapping your battery hold the craft by the body sides and off the ground and gently wiggle it out, you don't want to put any force down on the landing gear as it is more brittle. If you don't already have ND filters I recommend you get some (16, 32). Also get good thin gloves and you may last 2 batteries if your tablet does not freeze first. The only 2 reasons I ever used RTH was because my fingers were to cold to run the RC and that my tablet froze. -5 to -10 c should not cause too much condensation (-20 yes) if you leave the battery in the craft until it is warm to avoid condensation to get inside it should be ok without bagging outside. At -10c my samsung tablet does not freeze. Winter flying is beautiful and we have long winters so get out there and enjoy.

Last edited:
Oh man, as much as I don't like California for it's cost of living and liberal bias (think useless bullet train), I'm glad I don't live in cold climates during the winter. I'm spoiled, it's about 73F right now at 2pm in late Oct. Sweet. I may go fly shortly, it's a nice time of year. It actually got to over 100F this week, which is unusual, but no surprise.

Oh man, as much as I don't like California for it's cost of living and liberal bias (think useless bullet train), I'm glad I don't live in cold climates during the winter. I'm spoiled, it's about 73F right now at 2pm in late Oct. Sweet. I may go fly shortly, it's a nice time of year. It actually got to over 100F this week, which is unusual, but no surprise.
California dreaming! I wish, last night it snowed about 4 inches here and today not very cold (-1C) and for the next week it will be crappy weather. Around here as soon as you put the shovels away the mosquito's will drive you nuts! But then 99% of the land around my place is crown land and I have many many places to fly all by my lonesome. There is one small village one hour north of here than nothing up to James Bay. I also love to snowmobile so if I want to ride on it I also have to shovel the dang thing. OVER 100! man the only thing over 100 around here is the price of a full thank of gas!

Erised,
6 hours north of Barrie would put you around Timmins. I worked and lived in Kashechewan for 6 years and Moosonee for 7 years before Barrie. Temps here are a little warmer than your area but its getting colder. No snow yet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I have a waterproof hard case (Nanuk) so on really cold days I’ll leave it in there for an hour or so before taking it out. Already have thin iphone friendly gloves but am looking into a transmitter mit too. Although there will be lots of challenges to winter flying, I’m looking forward to it. I was reading DJIs tips on cold weather flying and they say to let your AC hover for about a minute to warm up before flying off. This seems to contradict what others are saying - keep it moving.

Earlier this year, I flew several flights in negative 0 C weather with no problems during a trip through Montana, Idaho, Utah and Colorado. However, I did have SUPER COLD hands while doing so. I believe if the batteries are kept above 0 C before the flight, I would think the heating during use would keep everything in good working order.

This is a little related. I know I'm a bonehead, but here it goes. After a flight, I immediately remove the battery and place it and the bird(battery compartment facing fan) in front of a fan turned on high. However, I've put my batteries in a freezer to cool them down when a fan wasn't available, and I have accidentally left them in for several hours on more than one occasion. The 2 to 4 times I did that, the batteries worked fine with no known problems. Still, that is my experience, and I highly don't recommend anyone doing that...especially if you are like me with a bad memory.

I've been flying last January in Mongolia at - 40 Celsius with no problem ( phantom 4), 26 minutes flight with 1 battery.
a88bc4011b18c7542e6bd6bb62ab2de9.jpg

Erised,
6 hours north of Barrie would put you around Timmins. I worked and lived in Kashechewan for 6 years and Moosonee for 7 years before Barrie. Temps here are a little warmer than your area but its getting colder. No snow yet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I have a waterproof hard case (Nanuk) so on really cold days I’ll leave it in there for an hour or so before taking it out. Already have thin iphone friendly gloves but am looking into a transmitter mit too. Although there will be lots of challenges to winter flying, I’m looking forward to it. I was reading DJIs tips on cold weather flying and they say to let your AC hover for about a minute to warm up before flying off. This seems to contradict what others are saying - keep it moving.
I take off check GO and switch to battery screen for the next few minutes and slowly take it up to around 30 mph in about 30 seconds, the amp draw increase is gradual and so far all works fine. Kashechewan must be freaken cold in winter.

I take off check GO and switch to battery screen for the next few minutes and slowly take it up to around 30 mph in about 30 seconds, the amp draw increase is gradual and so far all works fine. Kashechewan must be freaken cold in winter.
Yes, can get pretty cold. Got married in Moosonee on a -50C (with wind chill) day, but its a dry cold.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1