Cold Weather Flying

Last Sunday I flew twice at 0 degrees F. My battery was warm when I installed it and I didn't give it a chance to cool down before I turned it on. The sun was shinning and the air was dry so there was no icing up. I flew very conservatively and brought it in at 30% charge. No problems except my fingers were cold. The battery makes a nice hand warmer after a flight.

Reactions: dhornick
Ya need the gloves [emoji106]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451578119.588482.jpg

Reactions: dhornick
I wasn't trying to push a product it was just a quick screen grab to show options :)

Cold weather well today it is -5C flew my P3A total trip 18.183 km that's 60.000 feet no problems. Flying out at 15.5 mps return 17.6 mps landing with 30% battery Each flight was 20 minutes thats pretty good to be out in that cold weather of so long.one of my p3 batteries has 139 charges on it the other 120.thats without a booster set up and fpvlr antenna mod V1 however I have moded this antenna with right turn antenna.then they came out with there new V2..and I am sure with the itelite it will do the same.yes I did get weak video feed but still had video max hieght 120 meters.yes I have done my own battery mod.i am using nanotech 1600 and Hyperion HV 1800 I have had over 300 flights this p3 is awesome fly safe

Last edited:
Was up at -9 C yesterday. One battery behave normally, the other battery had some mishap at 5 minutes, got the bird back no problem.

What sort of mishap did you have I have 4 batteries I have had no problems.your p3 is it v1 or v2...

It was a P2, the battery had about 45 missions on it. Only two minutes into the flight the P2 auto returned with a low battery warning. It was fully charged before takeoff.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It was a P2, the battery had about 45 missions on it. Only two minutes into the flight the P2 auto returned with a low battery warning. It was fully charged before takeoff.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That isn't unusual for battery with 45 cycles. Have you ever bothered to check the current levels of your batteries before a flight??

Yes, I realize that unit was reaching the near end of its useful life. I wa flying at that time with a P2 and GoPro with no real time feed back on anything. On flights I made it a habit to fly the unit back after about 5 mins to check the battery lights, this mission failed right away just after it reached survey altitude to capture images for Pix4D.

Yes, I realize that unit was reaching the near end of its useful life. I wa flying at that time with a P2 and GoPro with no real time feed back on anything. On flights I made it a habit to fly the unit back after about 5 mins to check the battery lights, this mission failed right away just after it reached survey altitude to capture images for Pix4D.

Flying blind is a problem. Flying with a complete FPV system allows to see what the battery condition are so there's no need to return just to check battery lights.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie