Cold weather flight

Was it a misty day when you did the winter vid on the lake? Good footage, would a cam polarizer filter improve the clarity?
Not sure whether it was fog/mist or plain fog between the P3P lens and the ND8 lens .

I just got myself some lenses ; ND8 , CPL, MC UV and ND2-4-8-16 film ( that can easily be added to the 1st 3 ones ) but i have yet to fully understand how and when to use them . From what i see in that particular clip , i should of gone at least ND16 + CP . The snow is really white.

I did some searches and noticed some have flown in cold temperatures and reported no problems, others have crashed because their motor froze.

Currently it's -13c or 8f and I did not want to risk the flight since DJI says the Phantom can operate between 0 to 40c. I am definitely a risk taker but not sure it would be smart to fly with these temperatures.

I know folks have mentioned less battery life but my worry is crashing due to component failure.

Does anyone regularly fly their bird in extreme cold?
Yes, fly mine here in Alaska all the time. No other option then to fly in the cold this time of year. Coldest so far has been -20 F. No issues whatsoever. Flight times are only slightly less then when it is warm out; almost a non-issue (loss of 1-2 minutes flight time tops).

Have always started with relatively warm (room temperature) phantom and batteries... and fully charged batteries at that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl