Cold Weather Battery Issues

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to flying and I have recently bought a DJI Phantom 2 drone this winter. I’m planning on flying it mostly in cold weather and I’ve seen on some posts on forums about the problems with batteries in the cold (reducing flight times, could lead to sudden failure) and was wondering what I could do to reduce these issues?

Is there a DIY or product available that could help me mitigate these risks?

Any help would be appreciated!

Just the other day I had a freak event. I normally don't fly when the temperature is below 25 degrees F as my ungloved fingers can't tolerate the cold. My Phantom and batteries were in a case in the house (70 degrees) overnight and 30 degrees outdoors. I grabbed the case, loaded into car, drove 10 blocks to construction site, loaded battery, got home and course lock, did compass calibration and launched. Literally seconds into the flight voltage drops, LEDs flashing red. Land thinking, "oh crap dreaded short-life battery problem". Loaded another battery, same thing happens. Start the car, put heater on high and warmed battery for several-many minutes near air vent, rotating position often to warm evenly.

Load battery, home and course locks, flew just fine. So strange for two batteries at room temperature to suddenly drop voltage. I have flown 10 times recently under these same condition and circumstances with no problem. Freaky!

I say keep an eye on OSD and LEDs on Phantom watching for sudden voltage drops in cold weather conditions and do the simple thing and keep batteries warm prior to flight.

I've actually not been flying my Phantom for weeks and weeks now because of the cold and risks related.

Yes, once so far this month and then for only 8 minutes. No problems. Too darn cold.

When I fly in cold weather, I never fly too far away so I can keep an eye on the LEDs. As for keeping the batteries warm, I either keep them in my jacket pocket with my hand around them for a few minutes, or if I'm around the house which I usually am, I'll just get everything ready, and bring it from the house (usually right off the charger), and hook everything up and go from there. I also like to let the motors warm up for a little while before taking off as well. Not sure if it helps, but it does seem to fly better when I do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj