Cold IMU calibration.......wow

Reaction score
After fussing around with a defective bird and finally getting a new one, I did a cold calibration by putting it outside for 20 minutes in 35 degree weather without the battery like many people here advised. I cannot tell you how much faster my P3A warms up. It is ready to go like johnny on the spot. Bang and it is clear to go. Amazing. Listen to the elders, they know their stuff. Thanks to you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacc and Oso
Used to take at a minute to a minute thirty to go from power to ready-to-fly. After bringing it's temperature down to about 5°C and doing the IMU calibration, it now takes about 15-20 seconds from turning on the bird to having it in the air.

Reactions: rene van der meer
After fussing around with a defective bird and finally getting a new one, I did a cold calibration of the IMU like many people here advised. I cannot tell you how much faster my P3A warms up. It is ready to go like johnny on the spot. Band and it is clear to go. Amazing. Listen to the elders, they know their stuff. Thanks to you guys.

Used to take at a minute to a minute thirty to go from power to ready-to-fly. After bringing it's temperature down to about 5°C and doing the IMU calibration, it now takes about 15-20 seconds from turning on the bird to having it in the air.

This is great news. :)
I normally calibrate the compass during warming up. Even then I sometimes have to wait. Since compass calibration is not necessary every time it would be nice if the warming can be shorter.
In the winter it is easy to do a cold IMU calibration.
Is there a minimum temperature for the cold calibration?

This is great news. :)
I normally calibrate the compass during warming up. Even then I sometimes have to wait. Since compass calibration is not necessary every time it would be nice if the warming can be shorter.
In the winter it is easy to do a cold IMU calibration.
Is there a minimum temperature for the cold calibration?
Just put in in your refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes without the battery. Fridges are not below freezing and not humid. Have everything else (RC, etc.) ready to go. Place the Phantom on a perfectly level table (determined by a carpenter's level), insert the battery, turn it on without the props, and calibrate the IMU. The room does not have to be chilled. It works every time. Never had a bad flight. Keep in mind that you only need to do it when it's been bumped badly (perhaps in travel), after a firmware update, or if it seems to be flying oddly. You don't need to recalibrate colder even if you intend to fly in below-freezing temps.

The stick calibration does not have to be cold. And the compass needs to be done outdoors (temp is not a factor) only at a drastically new location, away from metal, etc.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Yes cold IMU calibration really helps reduce long warming up time.

Meant to mention in my previous post, above, that you might as well do the gimbal auto-calibration right after the IMU calibration, while the Phantom is indoors and level.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj