CNN op-ed claims tragic drone tragedy impending.

Reaction score
This op-ed on CNN is a scare and click grabber if I ever saw one. I'm posting it here because it's about drones.

The frenzy is getting out of control.

A tragic drone strike is invetitable!

Maybe? Maybe not? But I actually do want regulation but it's like anything else we do as humans. We take a very small risk of distaster for modern pleasantries.

The ubiquitous car example, but how about smoking weed or not, or riding a motorcycle.

Of course the difference in this is drones unwillingly put even just a little risk to others that had no say in it.

Everyone that drives a car knows there is a danger to it and they make their decision to drive or not.

However, to use scare tactics to just generate money always pisses me off.

Let me ask you guys a question. If there was a major 747 plane crash with 239 people on it and they all died, would you feel more like staying at something like 50 feet.

To be honest, almost always if I'm above 40 meters, it's for fun. On a gig, rarely do I need to higher no matter what it is. Just a thought.

Sorry if dupe.

Tragic drone strike with plane 'inevitable' - CNN.com

Oh man, you're willing to be THE guy who discusses the most controversial subject around this place lol.

Personally... Prove it was a "drone". I think the article and the whole case is a load of crap. There's no way a 3 pound drone would not leave any damage when collided with the teeny weeny sheet metal planes are constructed of at a high rate of speed.

United Plane Suffers Bird Strike Near Denver
Jet-from-DFW-damaged-by-bird-strike-near-Denver-164507476-630-602x401.jpg

Let's ban birds flying carelessly and shoot them all down.

"Last year, in the United Kingdom alone there was a quadrupling of near misses to 23 in the six month period from April to October with 12 labeled as a serious risk of collision, according to the U.K.'s Airprox Board.

In a five-month period ending January 31 this year, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration reported that there were 583 near misses between drones and planes, more than triple the number in 2014."

In 2014 there was 32,675 recorded motor vehicle collision deaths in U.S. Let's make driving regulation more strict!

Last edited:
No question that flying UAV's will be regulated to much more stringent levels than they are now - simply too many devices coming onto the market and more opportunity for things to go wrong. I just hope that these regulations are sensible when they appear and don't impede on our enjoyment of flying unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They can't be outrageous.

This isn't to debate gun laws but an example: look at gun laws in NJ, they're pretty outrageous if you're a civilian and want to carry a firearm.

With that being said, NJ is still one of the states with the highest gun crime. Because criminals follow gun laws and purchase guns legally right? Mean while civilians can't get guns to protect themselves against criminals who will have guns regardless of laws.

People, criminals, that want to use something to commit a crime will do it regardless of what the laws, regulations, rules, etc are for anyone. Else they would not be criminals.

I really hope this thread doesn't escalate into a battle of opinions and bashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: maseman88

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl