C'mon, why does glass pop out of every stock UV filter?

Reaction score
I flew a brand new P3P last month and after only a few times switching out ND filters, the glass in the stock UV filter that comes with the P3P popped off when my friend was handling it. (gently, she's a pro cinematographer and we handle lenses and filters all day long).

Now I get a new P4 and almost immediately the flipping glass drops right out of the filter just sitting in my filter case.

Asked another pilot who has a P3 and sure enough, same thing.

Firstly, what the what?? Can't we get a decent lens filter out of the box that doesn't fall apart if you just breathe on it?

Secondly: is there a source for a well-made, clear filter (UV haze, I suppose) that sells as a single item, and that somebody can vouch for?

I can find kits that include one but I have all the polarizers and ND I need and don't want to spend another $100 to get a single UV replacement.

While we are on the topic, for the suggestion box:

How about a variable ND in camera that's controllable from the RC?

Am I dreaming?

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is the rubber ring missing from the inside of the UV filter?

Filter-DJI-UV.jpg

Yeah, on the P3P the glass and the ring fell right out. On the P4, the ring was nowhere to be found.

These shouldn't fall apart so easily. I've never had a filter so prone to this - and I've got dozens and dozens for different camera systems of all sizes.

No way I'd buy this same one to replace it. Any reliable 3rd party sources that sell them as a single? I'd buy a few for backup.

Perhaps you could find a better fitting rubber ring? Or, maybe contact DJI for a replacement?

None of mine have fallen out yet, so it could just be some kind of quality issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1