Close call

Reaction score
My P3P just almost crashed. I had 50% battery so I planned to make a short fight. I took off at 50% battery and got up about 60 ft high and about 75 ft distance and was showing 47% battery. My p3p started flashing critical power warning and started losing altitude and dropping down towards the top of a tree, I moved forward away from the tree and my P3P slowly descended for a safe landing. When it landed it was still showing 47% battery, but my screen was flashing "power is critically low".

Upload to HealthyDrones.com, and see the battery diagnostic.

What level did the battery itself (Not the DJI GO app) show?

I recently charged a battery that was showing about 50%; when I started charging it immediately started flashing only the first light which shows it was under 25%.

It time it took to hit two leds showed it was likely around 10-15% in fact. Had I flown this, I may have had an issue. I have no idea why it did this as I flew it to about 50% (47% from memory) and charged it about 6 days later.

Generally speaking... Not good to fly without a fully charged battery. I don't know why, but both my P3P and P2V+ act up when taking off with a battery at less than 90-95%.

When I checked my battery it showed two lights which should be around 50%
I turned to controller and P3P, off then back on and I showed 47%, but I was afraid to try it again so I recharged the battery, I'll try again tomorrow in a good safe and open area.

I'd like to hear of problems people have had with taking off with less than 100% charged batteries. The only reason I do it is the "having the full clip" feeling going into a battle... just in case something across the horizon looks exceptionally interesting that day. But if I know for certain I have one objective, and I can get it done in 3-5 minutes. I'll start up with a 70-80% battery no problem. Never had an issue with a lot of batteries.

You may also want to connect to the P3 and double check your battery warnings to make sure critical battery is not set to something like 47%.

My warnings are set for 31% and 17 %. It didn't try to return to home, the aircraft started losing power and came down on its own. I didn't want to charge my battery with 50% remaining so I was trying to have a short flight to run the battery down before charging, but it turns out, that may not be a good idea.

Reactions: villep
My P3P just almost crashed. I had 50% battery so I planned to make a short fight. I took off at 50% battery and got up about 60 ft high and about 75 ft distance and was showing 47% battery. My p3p started flashing critical power warning and started losing altitude and dropping down towards the top of a tree, I moved forward away from the tree and my P3P slowly descended for a safe landing. When it landed it was still showing 47% battery, but my screen was flashing "power is critically low".

I wonder if the voltage dropped too low and still possible to show a good battery percent.

I flew the other day just wanting to check/play with expo gain tuning settings so threw in a 50% batt (that's how I store them) and was getting red everywhere on anything related to the batteries. It flew fine, but confused me. I didn't stay in the air very long, but from now on I'm going to fly only with fully charged batts.

upload_2015-10-1_10-4-45.png

Reactions: HD pilot
Do you think that recommendation is for some 'technical' reason or just a CYA?

I sometimes land to remove/replace a filter, or to swap out an SD card, and then take off again. Should I not do that?

Do you think that recommendation is for some 'technical' reason or just a CYA?

I sometimes land to remove/replace a filter, or to swap out an SD card, and then take off again. Should I not do that?
It's a tough call. I spent some time after the original post trying to find something I read that implied the bird and batteries don't talk correctly when the battery isn't fully charged on startup, but gave up and just quoted the battery care guide. I'll keep searching during my downtime today and hopefully have an answer. From a battery perspective, it shouldn't matter, but who knows what kind of "logic" is built into these things.

It's a tough call. I spent some time after the original post trying to find something I read that implied the bird and batteries don't talk correctly when the battery isn't fully charged on startup, but gave up and just quoted the battery care guide. I'll keep searching during my downtime today and hopefully have an answer. From a battery perspective, it shouldn't matter, but who knows what kind of "logic" is built into these things.

Let us know what you find. I speculated elsewhere on this site that perhaps these batteries are too 'intelligent' for their own good!

I have had this problem also. I flew my P3A at a friends house over the weekend. I was showing him how it flew for about 10 mins. Batt went down to 57%when I was finished flying. We went in and talked for about an hour. His wife came home and he asked me to show her how cool it was. I took it out and flew up 400 ft and out of sight. The "critical batt" status came up and it started to descend and land.....I was REALLY nervous because I wasn't even sure exactly where it was. I was able to override the landing and bring it back into my sight and land it. My settings are 30% and 15%. No reason it should've gone into critical mode.

I will NEVER fly with less than a full battery anymore.

Great info, thanks everyone to the comments, from this point forward I plan to fly only when I have a fully charged battery

I maybe off place here but the more I've charged my batteries, I'm around 70 or so on each of my batteries. I've noticed that when I take off straight up to 400 feet, full throttle I'm starting to notice the battery levels dropping down into the yellow voltage range on a fully charged battery, It seems like I've just started noticing this, it's like the initial draw of the battery drops the voltage low then goes back up to normal after I've reached my height. (Goes up and stabilizes in voltage)

Is it possible that while you guys are taking off at 50% the initial draw such as going up because it requires more voltage (amperage) in is pulling the battery into the critical which I believe to probably be the issue. I feel like it always better to take off fully charged because of this and what I've seen.

Reactions: Signals
DJI tutorial instructions indicate to not fly with less than 100% charge. For some reason the system does not like it and it has been known to cause issues. What i never got is if you fly on the same time window and you land then restart and take off again with say 45% bat doesn't that count ?

I maybe off place here but the more I've charged my batteries, I'm around 70 or so on each of my batteries. I've noticed that when I take off straight up to 400 feet, full throttle I'm starting to notice the battery levels dropping down into the yellow voltage range on a fully charged battery, It seems like I've just started noticing this, it's like the initial draw of the battery drops the voltage low then goes back up to normal after I've reached my height. (Goes up and stabilizes in voltage)

Is it possible that while you guys are taking off at 50% the initial draw such as going up because it requires more voltage (amperage) in is pulling the battery into the critical which I believe to probably be the issue. I feel like it always better to take off fully charged because of this and what I've seen.
Agree, I think that is the problem, the voltage gets too low.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Yesterday at my parents thanksgiving party I had a problem with my flight of my P3 pro. I had a critical voltage warning appear when it was about 100m up and roughly 200 m out. I remember reading somewhere on here that some have had there's fall out of the sky upon seeing a similar message. I can't remember exactly what the red error message read cuz I was so nervous when it happened. Thankfully I immediately brought it in and landed it safely. Upon loading the flight log to healthy drones all indicates everything was 100% normal. No battery warnings or anything. Everything on healthy drones said it was a perfectly normal flight no cell deviations at all. I later flew my two other batteries with zero problems. Any insight here? Thanks for all responses.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj