Close call

Reaction score
Had a close one today with my phantom 3 - on holidays in donegal Ireland and drove out a little penninsula near killybegs to look at a lighthouse and on the way back there was a beach that i thought would be nice to get some footage of so parked up and set the p3 up props on full 18 sats and nothing near me took off and hovered at 3' off the ground and next thing it looked to lose full power on one side and flip over and landed on its props upside down on the grass i picked it up but it wouldnt respond to the controller at all to shut it down so had to let go of the controller and pull the battery to get it to stop in fact the longer i held the stick down the faster it wanted to take off - anyway no damage done all looks ok i restarted everything while holding the p3 and tried starting again and all seemed fine it throttled up etc no issue - has anyone heard of anything like this before ?
Note
It wasnt windy where i was flying
Props were all on correctly
I had full signal 18 sats
And the controller was connected to the phantom as it took off when it was supposed to

I checked the flight log since and it shows my stick inputs i took off hovered at 0.6 metres then it falls out of the sky and it shows my downwards stick input to shut it down but it doesnt stop until the battery is pulled

That experience would certainly shake my confidence!

Had a close one today with my phantom 3 - on holidays in donegal Ireland and drove out a little penninsula near killybegs to look at a lighthouse and on the way back there was a beach that i thought would be nice to get some footage of so parked up and set the p3 up props on full 18 sats and nothing near me took off and hovered at 3' off the ground and next thing it looked to lose full power on one side and flip over and landed on its props upside down on the grass i picked it up but it wouldnt respond to the controller at all to shut it down so had to let go of the controller and pull the battery to get it to stop in fact the longer i held the stick down the faster it wanted to take off - anyway no damage done all looks ok i restarted everything while holding the p3 and tried starting again and all seemed fine it throttled up etc no issue - has anyone heard of anything like this before ?
Note
It wasnt windy where i was flying
Props were all on correctly
I had full signal 18 sats
And the controller was connected to the phantom as it took off when it was supposed to

I checked the flight log since and it shows my stick inputs i took off hovered at 0.6 metres then it falls out of the sky and it shows my downwards stick input to shut it down but it doesnt stop until the battery is pulled
I had a take off issue twice in a row in the same spot. Initiated auto take off and the Phantom started and flipped on it's right side. Set it up, tried it again manually, and it flipped over a gain.
Set it up again, recalibrated the compass in a different location 30 or 40 feet away and took it off manually again -- issue resolved. I suspect there was something ferrous or metal underneath the original set up location that created the problem. No issue since.

Reactions: focusowner
Thanks its good to hear that the issue has been resolved for you , i took mine home and recalibrated the imu and compass also calibrated RC took off in kitchen just in case it decided to do a fly away and it took off 3 times and landed each time no issue so my confidence in it is somewhat improved thankfully

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl